Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hooking up my ICOM-745 to my Mixer..Looking for Microphone choices??  (Read 4069 times)
N3QOU

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:48:38 AM »

Hello All,
 Going to hookup my ICOM 745 to a 4 channel audio mixer to quest for a better audio signal.
Can this be done with the 745?And if so what Microphones would you choose? Please keep in mind I am on a limited budget.
I had the mixer as I am old blues guitarists.
Thank you.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:33:44 AM »

Remember that you have limited bandwidth out of the radio, and bass uses much more power than treble. Commercial ham microphones (like Heil sound's radio mics) are designed around the idea of getting "punchy" audio out and making the most of the available power and bandwidth. In any other application they sound terrible, lacking any sort of accuracy in capturing the sound the way most sound engineers want it.

In other words, don't try to get something that's flat from 20Hz to 30KHz, and sometimes the worse the mic the better it will sound on the air.

I recently picked up a Chinese large-diaphragm mic at a pawn shop for cheap. I plan on trying it out on the air (but no hurry because it's more just for looks), but with the bass rolloff filter on and a lot of mid and high cut equalization and compression first.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »

Most mixers output at line level (~1-2v) amplitude so you will need to pad down the mixer output or you will overload your transceiver.  Although some transceivers have what they label a "patch input" in reality the patch input is NOT designed to take a line level input so you will still need a pad.  I have a W2IHY adjustable pad that works well for this @around 30db attenuation.  This pad is nice because it also has an internal isolation transformer which eliminates any hum problems.

FYI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: