Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reports of garbled audio  (Read 3156 times)
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »

So what does it sound like when working into a known good dummy load?
First test the KX3 into the dummy load.
Then the KX3 and amp into the dummy load.
Then the KX3 and amp and tuner (it should be able to load into a 50 ohm dummy load!).

I am sure that there is RF feed back causing your problem, but the first thing to do is test with a dummy load.  If it works OK, then you can determine how the RF is getting in and move the antenna, shield the rig, or filter... as required.
Good luck with the project!
73s.

-Mike.

How do I test what it sounds like into a dummy load? I imagine another receiver would be needed. I have a softrock reciever that I could test with.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »

Hi Jordan,

I have a different suggestion for your testing.

If you have enough ladder line coming off of your G5RV antenna, try connecting the ladder line directly to your MFJ-993B tuner on its balanced inputs. You could even temporarily place the tuner outside on a sunny day for the test. Then use the coax between the tuner and the radio.

If this works, you may wish to consider bringing the ladder line directly into your shack and keep this as a permanent setup. The G5RV is popular because many people have difficulty routing ladder line into their station. But with your tuner, if you are able to bring in ladder line, it may prove superior to the pure G5RV style antenna.

Contrary to some of the posts on this site, the issue of having common mode current is not determined by whether or not the balanced antenna in question is resonant.

- Glenn W9IQ
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:26 PM »

I have found the problem. I went through and started testing each individual part of my station. I started with the KX3. Hooked it up to the G5RV and transmitted at 1 watt while listening with my softrock reciever. The KX3 was not the problem.

Next I started messing with the MFJ antenna tuner without the amp inline. It would tune up the G5 on 40 meters to what it would claim was a 1:1 but showed as a 2:1 on my KX3 and my antenna analyzer.

I took the antenna tuner back to the fine guys over at HRO and picked up an LDG AT-600PROII and just got a solid audio report on 17m. I did hook up a 1:1 balun which is hooked up to the base of the G5RV. I don't see any downside to leaving it there and everything is working well.

Thanks for your help,
Jordan
KG7DBM
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:55 AM »

Glad you got it working!
I am sure the MFJ could be made to work, but I do know that LDG products are "First Rate" and probably have more filtering.
73s.

-Mike.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »

Congrats, Jordan! Good work on the troubleshooting steps.

- Glenn W9IQ
pmraiders

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »

Glad you got it working!
I am sure the MFJ could be made to work, but I do know that LDG products are "First Rate" and probably have more filtering.
73s.

-Mike.

The MFJ tuner was doing this weird stuff when I used it just with the KX3. I believe the MFJ tuner was bad. A replacement may have worked great and provided more flexibility as I plan on feeding a secondary antenna with ladder line. I decided that I wanted something I didn't have to wonder about.

That being said I had a chance to use an MFJ antenna tuner, those things are awesome, though a little big to take ultra portable.

Thanks for all the help. The 1:1 balun has reduced RF getting back into my shack. I pushed the power to the max I can drive (12w in ~450 ssb out) and there was no longer a hum in my headphones Smiley

Jordan
KG7DBM
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: