Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toyota RAV4 Read Door Jamb 2M/440 Antenna Mount  (Read 3359 times)
K4NMO

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »

I searched the forum, but never found any ideas on how to mount my 2M/440 antenna on the back of a Toyota RAV4 (2012).

I have been looking at using a CB mount http://www.rightchannelradios.com/vertical-door-jamb-cb-antenna-mount.html.  Can this mount be adapted to accept a NMO/PL259 cable?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »

Take a look at the Diamond and Larsen brackets and antennas in the HRO Catalog, or look online  www.hamradio.com - don't get a CB mount and adapt it, get a proper mount and antenna of the same manufacturer.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:47:49 AM »

Diamond K400. You'll bend the hell out of the panel long before that'll move. I speak from experience where someone did over $700 of damage to my car ripping the Little Tarheel mounted on the K400 off my car one drunk night. The antenna bracket swivel sections never even moved even though they ended up bending the clip part and bending the tarheel.
K4NMO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:32:50 AM »

Thanks for the information.

I am confused.  I am looking at the K400 and I cannot figure out how that mount would ever work.  Can I get some help?

I need the antenna mount to screw into the door frame, not the door.  As best as I can see the K400 is attached to the lip of the door and does not have sufficient metal to be screwed into the door frame and stick out far enough for the antenna.

There are CB door jamb mounts.  For example the Firestick MK204R, but zip for 2M/440 antennas.  Does anyone make a door jamb antenna for 2M/440 antennas?  Seems not to be.

Does it have to be this hard?  I am never going to get the radio in the car.  First it was the darn extension cable for the head, then the extension cable for the mic and now no way to mount the darn antenna on the back of the RAV4.

Frustration  Angry
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »

There are CB door jamb mounts.  For example the Firestick MK204R, but zip for 2M/440 antennas.

You could use the Firestick mount and substitute an NMO base for the 3/8 threaded one that's there.

Does anyone make a door jamb antenna for 2M/440 antennas?  Seems not to be.

It's not that common.  The closest thing I've seen is right angle NMO fender mounts (which you could attach to the referenced Firestick mount).

Does it have to be this hard? 

What you're doing is a custom install, so you're going to have to roll it yourself.  Sometimes you get lucky and all the bits are exactly what you need but when they're not, you have to mix and match or fabricate yourself

What's wrong with just putting it on the roof?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »

Any type mount that allows the co-ax to be freely floating where it goes into the vehicle through the door isn't good to use.  The co-ax is going to get pinched and scuffed to the point that it may well cause the shield to contact the center wire--and possibly blow out the transceiver final stage.  Trunk mounts usually don't have that problem, but can.  The best idea is to drill the hole and put in a proper mount.  If you absolutely refuse to do that, just be sure to keep checking that co-ax.  If you don't, you may get an unpleasant surprise.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:20 AM »

If it's like my 2010 RAV 4, a right-angle NMO trunk mount antenna mount should work--mount it to the vertical lip where the roofline bends into the door frame.

You might also consider mounting it to the luggage rack. I have a 3/8 mount clamped to mine that I use for an HF antenna  (when it's parked--I can't operate HF and drive safely at the same time). You could easily do the same thing with a NMO or UHF base.  Just be sure to ground it well. I ran a wire from the luggage rack and screwed it to the roof under a piece of plastic trim so it's all but invisible. You could get a "mirror mount" or similar bracket and adapt it to a 3/8"-hole NMO mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: