Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-530S no receive, no transmit, display out  (Read 2714 times)
KB2FCV

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »

Hi Folks,
   I was talking to a good friend of mine last night on 80m and he was telling me about his TS-530S. It's been reliable for a very long time. While no longer his primary rig he does use it from time to time.

Anyways to get to the point, he tried powering it up the other day and the frequency display did not come on. The dial lamps did otherwise light up. It also does not receive or transmit. I'm wondering if it could be something like a pll locked up or something in the VFO? He's not too handy with opening up a radio and digging in.... and he's also in Maine and I'm in NJ. I just figured I'd put this post out there to see what possible culprits there might be to cause it. Perhaps there is a common XYZ part that goes bad and causes this symptom (for example.. like the  xyz part that commonly goes bad in my ic-746 that either kills the backlight or the finals..). Thanks & 73, James
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »

These old hybrids need a cleaning and some refurb occasionally.  This is a common failure mode and most likely its nothing more than a loose connector or dirty switch inside.  Same thing happened to my TS-820s last summer.

1. Get some de-oxit.
2. Open the radio and remove ALL plugs to pc boards, clean contacts with de-oxit and reseat them.  Loosen ALL screws holding PCBs to chassis and retighten them.
3.  Clean bandswitch segments and mode switch with de-oxit and turn the seiwthces thru all segments 30-50 times to insure they are clean.

Gud luck,

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »

Hi James,

I see you have great info to start, just want to add
that this group is a great resource, over 3,000 members,
all are invited to join.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

Manuals are in pdf no cost

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

73 james
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »

These old hybrids need a cleaning and some refurb occasionally.  This is a common failure mode and most likely its nothing more than a loose connector or dirty switch inside.  Same thing happened to my TS-820s last summer.

1. Get some de-oxit.
2. Open the radio and remove ALL plugs to pc boards, clean contacts with de-oxit and reseat them.  Loosen ALL screws holding PCBs to chassis and retighten them.
3.  Clean bandswitch segments and mode switch with de-oxit and turn the seiwthces thru all segments 30-50 times to insure they are clean.

Gud luck,

+1

Often cures all kinds of maladies and even if it doesn't the old rig needs to have this done first anyway.

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »

1. Get some de-oxit.

I did these very exercises to my Kenwood R-1000 which suddenly refused to change frequency and its back to almost new again!
Jon G4FUT

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:58:10 AM »

If the DeOxit cleaning does not work, next thing I would check are power supply output voltages.

Dick  AD4U
KK4RXN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

I got scared the other night when I was cleaning my 820 - when I powered it back on it came up with only 9.000 on the display and no sound, no nothing. I was afraid it was something major or that I'd have a lot to track down, but it was one clip beside the VCO, I believe (big metal box on the bottom when turned over) that wasn't connected correctly. I connected it and everything is well and good! Let's hope it's something that easy to track down on yours.

Barry
KK4RXN
Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16

---------------

Barry
KK4RXN
Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: