The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT415-- green light stays on, squelch dial does nothing; ideas?  (Read 4128 times)
N6VSB

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »

I see Yaesu has had "squelch" problems variously.  I saw mention elsewhere about taking a different model apart, but haven't been inside one of these and have no guess what might be fixable if anything.

I can use tuner cleaner on the potentiometer if that'd help, look for bad solder joins -- waiting to try opening it up until I have more of a clue what else might be worth trying.

Failing that, wondering where to send the thing for someone else to play with it rather than landfill it.

Good battery;
did the factory reset (power on while holding MR and VFO)
Screen green bars at bottom show "I" (left side of left field) and "S" (left side of right field) and never change.
No blinking.
Shows A in left of window (presumably VFO band A)
Function key seems to do nothing, all the keypad does is enter numbers.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:02:07 PM »

If the monitor button (side of radio next to PTT) is stuck, it will do what you describe.
N6VSB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »

Belated followup -- no, that wasn't the problem --  switch next to PTT wasn't stuck.

"Monitor" -- what I"ve been told is "Squelch Override" -- the button just _above_ the PTT button -- does seem physically to work -- feels just the same as the other buttons.  I removed the rubber cover, tried some tuner cleaner on it -- no change.    I could physically unsolder it, it's just surface mounted on a little floating circuit board (well, the glue's dried out, will reattach it).

I would _guess_ that I can safely just remove that switch and leave that as is -- lose the squelch override feature -- on the guess that maybe that switch has failed permanently on internally.

But it's purely a guess, I don't know how that works.

I'd just shelved the radio.  I pulled it out today  --  found it still had charge in the battery!  
Removed the power, took it apart, looked for corrosion or anything obvious, saw nothing, put it back together, no change.

So, reviving the old question.

Same problem:  squelch dial does nothing, green "busy" light stays on   (unless the PTT is pressed).

As suggested above it's acting like the "squelch override" button is stuck -- or shorted out?  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:36:45 PM by N6VSB » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »

He said monitor button, next to PPT. .... If you can muster up enough interest/patience, read the user manual.
N6VSB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »

Thanks, I've done that, and talked to more experienced hams, but nobody else who has this model, so I'm trying here.

If you have a better manual than the one that came with the radio, I'd appreciate a pointer.  Mine says nothing pertinent about this.
No offense meant, but I did, thoroughly, go through the manual and talk to people who might know, who didn't have an answer.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »

Sounds like the monitor button functions as intended. No reason to take it apart. If you set up tone squelch on a frequency, the knob will have no effect, as you describe. .... I mention the manual because you don't seem familiar with the function button, you press function then another button to enable a function. .... I don't believe a battery will supply enough power to transmit after 2 years, I would charge it.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Does pressing the monitor button open the squelch?
N6VSB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »

Battery took a full-enough charge (still got 10v, after resting overnight, on a 12v battery).

According to the manual, which I've just reread, this Monitor button momentarily -- while pressed -- defeats the dial setting for squelch to allow hearing faint signals that are down in the noise.  Using the button leaves that dial's setting untouched so when the button is released the radio returns to the level of squelch set.

That's what doesn't happen. 

As described, as soon as the radio is powered on, the "busy" green light is always on, there's always static on the speaker no matter what level the squelch dial is set on.

No tone squelch set is set on a frequency.  Yes, I do understand the function button. 

I reset the CPU -- back to 'factory defaults' per the manual, yesterday -- which it should have been anyhow -- no difference.
This radio was used only for simplex, long ago, and this problem just arose one day while in use.  Never found anyone who thought it could be fixed or would be worth fixing.  So asking here was a long shot.

Normally there would be no static and no "busy" light with the squelch dial set properly -- and only sufficiently strong signals would be heard.

So yes, the radio has acted like the "monitor" button was stuck in a pressed condition.  But it doesn't appear that was the problem.
Could be the rheostat (or whatever that blue box is) under the squelch knob failed, I suppose.

I'm just cleaning up a lifetime's accumulation of projects and stuff -- doubt there's anything further worth doing on this one.  It's from the 1990s after all.

If anyone needs a FT415 for parts (or wants just the addon CTCSS board for it),  you know how to find me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: