Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng UV-B5 - how to set TX power  (Read 5499 times)
ANDREW30

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

Hello,
I wonder how can one set the TX power for HI/LO setting on UV-B5. Factory default is 3.8W/1.5W (5W/1W in manual), but I'd rather 1W/0.2W. Inside many UHF transceivers I've had, there were small trimmers which let you to tune the TX power separately for HI and LO. That is the only thing which keeps me back from buying this amazing transceiver.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

Just buy the UV-3R PLUS.I think the output is only 2 or 3 watts HIGH & 1/2 watt LOW.Some ads say 2 watts high some say 3 watts high. I have 2 friends here who own them & the UV-5R models & the use the UV-3R more because it's so small. {:>)   Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/

If it can be done, someone there knows how.

Ex KC9EEV.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »

How about a 4 db attenuator on the antenna. Many companies make a pad that is small with the correct connector (sma). That way you do not have to play with the radio, and will get the power output you want.

73s

K2OWK
ANDREW30

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions, but I've made up my mind not to buy either UV-5R or UV-3R. The thing is, I was looking for direct replacement for my Alinco S45, which is great, but not very selective. I am afraid that the UV-5R yahoo group won't be able to answer my question as UV-B5 is completely different animal. 5R/3R don't feature S-Meter in real sense, B5 do. Programming is supposed to be easier, sensitivity/selectivity way better, channel dial (which I really like), lots of bugs fixed (CTCSS related), ...

I would welcome photos of B5's circuit board, there appears to be none on the internet, as long as someone is willing to take apart their B5  Grin

Attenuator would definitely help cutting the power, but thermal dissipation (as high as it is already) and battery life would not improve at all. One of the reasons for this is to prolong battery life, so attenuator won't be any good.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:13:13 PM by ANDREW30 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: