The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Professionals at work  (Read 1794 times)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »

My afternoon's entertainment was watching a power company crew finally (the disconnection/replacement process started in March) pull a 50-foot concrete pole out of the ground with about as little effort and a lot less trauma as a dentist pulling a tooth. It was actually on my property but blocking my neighbor's parking area. What amazed me was how they placed the lifting cable loop at precisely the right balance point, but then I noticed a faint line that must have been put there when the pole was first built. Easy down on blocks, then hauled off to be reused.

I admire skill like that, and of course having the right tools for the job helps.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:48:03 AM »

The right tools definitely help...
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »

And experience doesn't hurt either.
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »

Just a side-rant....  In some places, like my home town in Oregon, all the utility and street work is done by the municipality, and the costs of maintaining the organization is often grouched at by taxpayers. But those guys have good, safe equipment and are experienced. In other places "free enterprise" reigns and the work is contracted out to the lowest (so-called) qualified bidder. Every time I go to California I see the most godawful sloppy work being carried out by small outfits that found their backhoe and tools on a junk lot last month, and leave piles of materials in hazardous places and their lunch wrappings on the street overnight. Japan has its problems but this is definitely not one of them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:37:24 PM by EXW6BMZ » Logged
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:26 AM »

Another professional at work although not electrical in nature. My father was a plasterer and I just spent a happy forty five minutes watching a modern professional plaster a wall, not drywall, the real thing with his plaster mixed in a large wheelbarrow. In forty five minutes he had covered a 2,5m x 6m wall and to my eye it looks perfectly flat. He knew I was watching and by the end he was having fun chasing a bead of water around the wall with his float. A hundred Euro well spent  Smiley

Peter DL8OV
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »

As my now departed neighbor would say: "I love work, I could watch it all day.".   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: