Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to dump the phonetics  (Read 14812 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

WD:  Yes, when I use those phonetics my call works out OK....but I hate using phonetics too much because I keep hearing W2OY in my ears....."I don't wanna talk to any lids, kids or K8s and especially space cadets!"   Sad
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »

Using phonetics is a good idea.  Using 'standard' phonetics is also a good idea.  Understanding why phonetics are used is even a better idea.  All of that requires some thinking.  Thinking is work, so there are many that don't like to work too hard.  See where I'm taking that??
 - Paul
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 07:41:23 AM »

WD:  Yes, when I use those phonetics my call works out OK....but I hate using phonetics too much because I keep hearing W2OY in my ears....."I don't wanna talk to any lids, kids or K8s and especially space cadets!"   Sad

I was part of that small but weird group that would pound him with our calls contest style when he was encountered on the bands...

Turn the amp on first. 

AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 07:55:43 AM »

Tell me again how I am suppose to pronounce the phonetic for "Q".
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

Tell me again how I am suppose to pronounce the phonetic for "Q".

That's "QUEER-BECK without the "R."
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »

Or just visualize lots of a name brand beer freely flowing at a Gay Rights demonstration.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

Q = Queue (pronounced just as it's spelled)

C = Cue

M = Mnemonic

W = Weimeraner

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »

"Q" = Quebec = "keh BECK"

Looks more like "kay-beck" to me than "qua-beck."   The "qua" sound is not very radio friendly.  Come to think of it, the whole notion that "Quebec" is a good phonetic is a bit silly.  That is not an easy word to either say or understand on the air.  I like "queen" better and apparently a lot of hams do as well.  I hear "queen" much more frequently than either "Que BECK" or certainly what appears to be the correct "Kay BECK."

Tom/AE5QB
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »

Perhaps it would be better to spell the phonetic for this phonetic, "Kuh Beck"...

And then listen to any SSB contest for the QUEEN. 

She'll be there, all over the place.

KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

I was born with a speech problem.  I use the international phonetic standard all the time, except once.  Last Jan, I thought I was having a heart attack.  I called 911 and told them my apartment as "A".  I live 2 miles or less from the EMS. I also opened the front door and turned on a porch light.  They called back after about 10 minutes and said they could not find apartment "I".  I called out Alpha, Alpha. They arrived within a minute.  I am glad that it was a false alarm, but I did have other issues and spent 9 days in the hospital. What if it was not a false alarm? As for me, the international phonetics standard is here to stay.

Randy ka4nma
N9PSE

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 05:00:49 AM »

I'm a big fan of standard phonetics -- they're standard for a reason.  Just like Morse code, if you hear a particular sound, you think a letter.  When you use different sounds (words), I have to stop and think what letter is being referred to... which means I have to mentally spell out the word in my head to grab the right letter.  That takes time and I end up missing parts of the call.  Especially when call signs are machine-gunned out by fast talkers.

However, if you decide to use non-standard phonetics, please make them unambiguous.  For example, don't use "kilowatt."  You may mean "K", but I see "KW."  I've wasted a lot of time confusing call signs when the op is a K1ABC but keeps saying phonetics that indicate KW1ABC.

Just my 2 centibux...

Ninepins Niner Psychotic Sardonic Eutrophy
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 06:32:54 AM »

As noted in some previous responses Amateur use of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) is only a drop in the bucket compared to its common daily use in all across the board non amateur radio live voice/phone communications,more to the point it is properly used.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:12 PM »

Don't you just love guys that start a thread with a controversy subject and then never come back to back up their thread?  Roll Eyes

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 02:42:12 AM »

Re:VE3FMC

Your accurate observation is most likely due to the fact that most of theses forum contributors were Boy Scouts in their youth.As such,one of the main events of the weekend camp out was the evening fire side circle.Being that we each had merit badges in our own area of interest we could always depend on the same few guys practicing their craft.First,as you noted there were the few that were adept in originally starting the fire then sneaked off to prepare for the later evening pranks i.e short sheeting bunks,putting garter snakes into the sleeping bags etc..Remaining in the fire circle were those that specialized in throwing in big logs and fanning the flames to keep it burning bright.The rest of the boys would simply enjoy the comradeship,a few jokes and throw a small twig or two into the fire.Eventually after the evening wore on and the fire died down to a few ashes we all turned in.Of course during all this there was our troop leader(nowdays to be politically correct called a troop Administrator) I believe his name was Mr.Mike who was always lurking in the background leaving us boys to do our thing.It was his responsibility to keep an eye on things and if for some reason the fire got out control you could depend on him to quickly douse and put the fire completely out due to a well filled bladder from the leaders beer supply that was always judiciously hid some where in the troop supply trailer.What all this has to do with Phonetics I have no idea except that Taps is TANGO ALPHA PETER SIERRA.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 03:56:25 AM »

Another thing amazing is the way that some mundane subject will garner such a group of comments!  It never ceases to amaze.

Just what is wrong with using phonetics that include well known everyday words.  True, it does not follow a standard convention, but as long as the first letter of the word is clearly understood, there is no harm whatsoever in using such words if they convey the meaning clearly.

Now that I've ignited the discussion again....  73!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: