Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting by the pool working FD  (Read 163145 times)
N1CX

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »

So if I sit by my pool with my k3 remote and laptop on wifi all run on battery do you qualify for emergency power and field operation in field day? Can I get bonus points too if I do it all at qrp?

How about if I connect to a station in NY would I be 1A ENY even if I'm in Maine?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:00:11 AM by N1CX » Logged
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »

Is the transmitter on battery? If not, I don't believe there are bonus points for remoting on batteries and keeping the transmitter on the AC mains.  But good luck and have fun.

NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »

Sitting by the pool with a "boat drink" working HF, now that is what I call a proper Field Day!  Grin

Now days remote operation is more and more do able. I really think that Field Day as well as other contests should entertain a "remote" station control category.

In 2012 I worked RTTY on Field Day using my iPhone to remote into my HF station.

I don't even want to hear how Field Day is an "emergency exercise" and remote operation should not be included.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

If I take the K3 into the pool do I qualify as maritime mobile  Grin
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »

Of course, Bob.  MM.  But only if you paddle around some (Maritime MOBILE).
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »

Modify a Gibson Girl transmitter to work on the ham bands instead of 500 Kc, hold it between your knees, and crank away. I think that would qualify as an emergency station, even though you're in the pool.

http://musickpointradio.org/musick-memorial-radio-station-today/vintage-transmitters/scr-578-gibson-girl/
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »

So if I sit by my pool with my k3 remote and laptop on wifi all run on battery do you qualify for emergency power and field operation in field day? Can I get bonus points too if I do it all at qrp?

How about if I connect to a station in NY would I be 1A ENY even if I'm in Maine?

The rules for FD require ALL equipment for Class As including antennas must be within a 300 meter radius..Field Day was meant for operating in the FIELD, not by the pool side...Also Class A stations  cannot use permanently installed antennas..Any remotely controlled stations must be done by radio control (General contest rules)...Internet remote stations are not allowed.
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

The rules for FD require ALL equipment for Class As including antennas must be within a 300 meter radius..Field Day was meant for operating in the FIELD, not by the pool side...Also Class A stations  cannot use permanently installed antennas..Any remotely controlled stations must be done by radio control (General contest rules)...Internet remote stations are not allowed.

Really? So often FD is taken way too seriously. Get on the air and eat some BBQ. We constatnly hear that FD is not a contest. If that premise is true then does it really matter if you are accessing your station with a PC or other device?
I worked FD remote control with my iPhone. All of my equipment including antennas were within 300 meters...however I was not. So my QSO's don't count? Maybe it's time for a modification of the rules.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »

Class A stations also require a group of 3 or more operators. Pool-side operation of your home station would be Class D or Class E as shown by the rules below:

4.6. (Class D) Home stations: Stations operating from permanent or licensed station locations using commercial power. Class D stations may only count contacts made with Class A, B, C, E and F Field Day stations.

4.7. (Class E) Home stations - Emergency power: Same as Class D, but using emergency power for transmitters and receivers. Class E may work all Field Day stations.
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »

The rules for FD require ALL equipment for Class As including antennas must be within a 300 meter radius..Field Day was meant for operating in the FIELD, not by the pool side...Also Class A stations  cannot use permanently installed antennas..Any remotely controlled stations must be done by radio control (General contest rules)...Internet remote stations are not allowed.

Really? So often FD is taken way too seriously. Get on the air and eat some BBQ. We constatnly hear that FD is not a contest. If that premise is true then does it really matter if you are accessing your station with a PC or other device?
I worked FD remote control with my iPhone. All of my equipment including antennas were within 300 meters...however I was not. So my QSO's don't count? Maybe it's time for a modification of the rules.

Rules are rules (again, only Radio Remote control is allowed)...good luck on getting them changed
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

Where is the rule that says only radio remote control (no Internet) can be used? I found a rule in the ARRL general rules for all contests that says - when a radio remote control is used the remote receiver may be located at the control point but an operational communications receiver for contacts cannot. It doesn't seem to me that this is a prohibition against using all other types of remote control links such as Internet, Wi-Fi, wires, etc.

I know there has been some discussion about changing the rules to prohibit the use of Internet Remotes in contests but haven't seen any rule changes yet.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »

I've seen pools of water sitting in the middle of fields on several occasions. Huh
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

People who want to sit by the pool and not operate Field Day as it is intended are probably fat, lazy ass hams who wouldn't know what to do if the power went out  Grin
Obviously tradition doesn't mean anything anymore....Maybe going to Channel 19 would be best for you...Field Day is a sacred tradition...the name FIELD DAY is self explanatory....but if you cannot grasp the idea of sweat, then maybe you should just get in the pool and stay off the radio...REAL hams operate Field Day in the Field and follow the rules
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

Let's modify the FD rules to include a 10x multiplier for contacts worked via email over terrestrial wireless. You know, to keep up with times...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: