Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitoring amateur radio transmissions  (Read 31271 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »

Just let them do it, it gives the Bozo's something to do!!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

there is absolutely no evidence the Obama administration was behind the IRS targeting Tea Party groups that were trying to get tax exemptions.  it's just a lot of hearsay and innuendo like the bs that circulated about Sadaam having anything to do with al qaeda or 9-1-1.  he did not, but many Americans still mistakenly think he did. Rush Limbaugh and some politicians make a living on the fact that a lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on (as Mark twain once quipped).

Bush Cheney started this mess with the Patriot Act, which both parties failed to stand up to.  Unfortunately when it comes to war and surveillance Obama seems a lot like Dick Cheney in his willingness to circumvent the Constitution in the name of 'security'.

There is absolutely no evidence that the current or the previous administrations are or were competent either!  AAMOF, neither one was/is.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

Both administrations were and are very competent. 

Problems arise when we examine what it is that they are competent in doing...
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »

there is absolutely no evidence the Obama administration was behind the IRS targeting Tea Party groups

Sure, just like there's no evidence that Obama was behind Holder's Fast and Furious.  Oh yeah, Bush did that too!

BUSH ISN'T PRESIDENT ANY MORE!  If we are going to try to hold ex-presidents responsible for what the current ones are up to, nothing will ever change.  We'll end up investigating presidents who have been dead for a century before we can even start contemplating Obama's criminal activities.

Start with the current one, try for treason, work your way backwards.  Take that lying NSA director and put him on trial for treason as well.  It's treason season, and everybody's just full of excuses instead of the desire for justice.

With these attitudes, it's only going to get worse, and I don't think it's going to get better.  Patriotism isn't supporting the president who happens to be a member of the same political party that you happen to identify with.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »

... before we can even start contemplating Obama's criminal activities.

Oh I could so get myself into trouble responding to those accusations but I'll refrain for the sake of the forum.  Smiley
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »

BUSH ISN'T PRESIDENT ANY MORE! 

true, but i wasn't suggesting it was Bush who told Issa to manufacture a scandal out of misinformation and innuendo.

On Monday, we learned that the IRS didn't single out tea party groups after all. Instead, they were looking for political groups, including not just tea party groups, but progressive groups as well. They may have used a flawed method for flagging the groups, but the IRS's intent was clear: to identify political groups that were not legally entitled to receive the tax-exempt benefit they sought to receive.
That pretty much brought the IRS "scandal" to a screeching halt. In the hours following the revelation, Darrell Issa's Twitter feed suddenly started spamming tweets about Benghazi. "Change the subject, quickly!" he seemed to be saying.

But there's still a question to be answered. If the IRS was targeting political groups from across the ideological spectrum, where did the original narrative about tea party targeting come from? The answer makes Darrell Issa and his fellow House Republicans look even worse than they did on Monday:

The Treasury inspector general (IG) whose report helped drive the IRS targeting controversy says it limited its examination to conservative groups because of a request from House Republicans.
A spokesman for Russell George, Treasury’s inspector general for tax administration, said they were asked by House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) “to narrowly focus on Tea Party organizations.”
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

Absolutely expect than anything you transmit, or post on the internet, can be read by both friendly and unfriendly governments, and anyone else who's the least bit nosy.
When I was operating in Thailand in 1973-74, with a license through the radio society of Thailand, I got QSL's from stations I worked, and from a lot that I didn't work. the QSL'S that didn't match my log were all from the former Soviet Union. some were SWL cards.
You Are being monitored!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »

I am curious about the government monitoring radio communications (NSA).  
I recall reading at one time or another that the US government monitors all amateur radio transmissions, and can, in fact, listened to, and probably recorded, all transmissions overseas.  Am I imagining this or is it true?
Do the raw technology components, parts, or modules exist today to do this?  YES.

I do chuckle about the freebanders, illegal radio operators,
and non-tech types that believe such technologies do not exist.

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2013, 01:10:55 AM »

Back during the days of the cold war, at one stage, RAF members (maybe Army and Navy too) who were hams were supposed to inform their C/O every time they had a QSO with a ham in any of the Warsaw pact countries in case there were 'security implications'. One RAF guy decided this was silly and spent a weekend in a Russian CW contest, and then reported it. Apparently the C/O asked
'What did you say to him?'
'599001 73 K'
'What did he say?'
'5NN032 73 K'

After this had gone on for a few more QSO's, the C/O decided not to bother enquiring further......
G1YHE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »

On the same lines, when I was serving in the UK Military I sent for and received a QSL card from Radio Moscow.

What a question and answer session when that arrived, you would have thought that I had received an invitation to Lunch in the Kremlin.

Grin
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »

No one ever said that 'Military' and 'Intelligence' were anything other than incompatible!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »

If I was a NSA monitor and I had to listen and filter thru all the nonsense heard on the local repeaters I'd probably shove a knitting needle in my ears just to make myself deaf.

LOL!  And if they spent any time on 14275 or on 75 meters at night, they could get some pointers on what works with the inbred, the Klan, etc.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »

The USSR monitored all of the U.S. ham communications and look what happened  Shocked
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2013, 06:20:12 PM »

The USSR monitored all of the U.S. ham communications and look what happened  Shocked

Yep....enough to melt your soul.  LOL!

W6RAD

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »

Hi all, Let's say I have a friend who did this, just saying, anyway lets just say they concentrate mostly on overseas traffic and most operators are ether multi language or proficient in Farsi.
Nuff said......   
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: