Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Band HF contesting  (Read 5013 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »

ZL1BBW, sorry I am confused.  I was referring to having the CW Skimmer software running locally at your ham station...listening to the receiver of the rig and decoding the signals.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

Woops, got that wrong  Smiley  I had a job to decode some of the CW on thebands just lately, so guess the skimmer idea is just a step too far.

Are you allowed to have the DX Spots fed up on screen, that seems a abuse of the whole idea to me.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »

According to the link I posted, it specifically says that the use of CW Skimmer constitutes ASSISTED.  I interpret that to mean that this includes using it at my own station.  Which makes total sense to me.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »

I only do single band - single mode contesting and really enjoy it, primarily because I like to get some sleep during the weekend when the band goes soft or dead. I use a 2 element quad on 20, 15 & 10 and double extended Zepps for 80 & 40 running unassisted high power.  Running single band assisted is not necessary, by the end of the contest you will have found or they will have found you and you will have worked most all the multipliers. Using DX Spotting only slows you down. Since I started the results have been good.  ARRL DX Contest: 1st place in section: 2009 20M SSB; 2010 10M SSB; 2011 15 SSB; 2012 80M SSB (6th N.A.)
2012 ARRL 10 meter contest: 1st in Division, 12th in NA. I operated the VHF contest 6 meter SSB only so will see about that but conditions were terrible here. I will try for 40 meters SSB then start running the contests CW only.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »

Thanks to all for the info, have the 204BA on its way up to me at the moment.  The other 3 ele Telrex needs to be taken down from my dads old QTH, so that will be a "fun" day.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »

Aloha Gavin,

Working a single band in contests is a blast. And you can break records I know because I have 3 Records for Oceania.
The first one is for the CQ WW RTTY contest in the 20M SOHP Assisted (using the cluster) and using my club call KH7B with a score of only 122,880 that was 2010 (Still holds as record). The second was in the 2010 CQ WPX once again 20M SOHP Assisted with a score of 1,154,160 (a personal best) plus I also got 1st in World for Tri-band/Wires for that catagory. The third was for the 2011 CQ WW for 40M SOLP Assisted with a score of 31,050. All of these records still stand and the only reason I have not broke more is I started a new job and have not had the time to do much contesting but that's going to change later this year. I have a very modest station I have a 3 element SteppIR with the 30/40 driven element at 10 Meters and by fall I hope to have a 80M Half Square up at 45 feet for antennas. My radio is a Kenwood TS-590S and I do have a Heathkit SB-220. I looked at the records for the contests and I picked a catagory I thought I could win (some had never had an entry) and did my very best, there was some I did not beat but came close. It can be very fun. The 40M record I have was real nice because I only worked it for about 14 hours if that and I worked 48 countries using 100W and a rotatable dipole since that is what the steppIR is on 40 and 30M. Have fun you never can tell what you can do until you try.

73 and Aloha

Roland AH6RR
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: