Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kx3 with kxpa100  (Read 14943 times)
KG4OLW

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »

I recently purchased and built a kx3 400x serial. I love the radio and I have taken it to parks and many other outings. However I find 10 watts just not enough for reliable enjoyable ssb contacts. 10 watts is fine 90% of the time for cw contacts, however a big part in my deciding to purchase this rig was the fact that Elecraft was developing a 100watt amp, and i figured this rig, could serve as a good home station that I could unplug and throw in a bag for portable qrp work. They recently announced the new kxpa100 watt amp. The amp is beautiful and I am sure it works great, but it is kind of pricy. I know you get what you pay for but at this price point for only 100 watts it puts a great many other amps in play. Take a look and tell me what you all think.

http://www.elecraft.com/tmp/kxpa100.htm

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »

I recently purchased and built a kx3 400x serial. I love the radio and I have taken it to parks and many other outings. However I find 10 watts just not enough for reliable enjoyable ssb contacts. 10 watts is fine 90% of the time for cw contacts, however a big part in my deciding to purchase this rig was the fact that Elecraft was developing a 100watt amp, and i figured this rig, could serve as a good home station that I could unplug and throw in a bag for portable qrp work. They recently announced the new kxpa100 watt amp. The amp is beautiful and I am sure it works great, but it is kind of pricy. I know you get what you pay for but at this price point for only 100 watts it puts a great many other amps in play. Take a look and tell me what you all think.

Another 12V splattery CB type amplifier.  Not good at all.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »

The IMD specs for the KXPA100 have not yet been published and so comments on the IMD are speculative.

The KX3 has 3rd order IMD (measured by the ARRL) of 36 dB relative to PEP. According to Mr. Zenki this meets the NTIA standards for marine radios and he considers marine radio IMD performance to be something for amateur transceiver makers to strive for.

Amps in the running:
KXPA100 at $700
HL45B (45 watts) at $450
Ten Tech at $785
RM Italy HLA 150 at $330
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:36:51 PM by WX7G » Logged
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:45:53 AM »

That is exactly what I was thinking. the kxpa100 looks amazing, and I am sure it is a top notch amp, however is it worth $1000 for essentially a 100 watt external finals kit for the kx3. I just don't know, especially when you can get the tokyo high power amp on ebay new for less than $300... Has anyone who has a kx3 decided to get one yet?
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 05:10:12 AM »

It is indeed pricey, however, there are a couple of things that set it apart from others:

1) Integrated tuner
2) Tight integration with the KX3
3) Small size

Now, whether those benefits are worth the extra $$$ to you is another matter.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »

Compare the base KX3 and base KXPA100 as a pair at $1600 against the K3/100 at $2100 and it looks like a fair deal.

I bought the KX3 and sold my K3.

I ordered the KXPA100 with the ATU.  

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:09:07 AM by WX7G » Logged
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:44 AM »

Compare the base KX3 and base KXPA100 as a pair at $1600 against the K3/100 at $2100 and it looks like a fair deal.

I bought the KX3 and sold my K3.

I ordered the KXPA100 with the ATU.  

Brave ham Grasshopper!

Actually I was considering the same thing but the KX3 has no provision for an Rx antenna like the K3. Deal killer as there are quite a few times during the year that 40m and 80m would not be doable without the Rx antenna.

Don KF7DS
KG4OLW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 11:59:12 AM »

What do you use for an rx antenna on 80?
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »

Actually I was considering the same thing but the KX3 has no provision for an Rx antenna like the K3. Deal killer as there are quite a few times during the year that 40m and 80m would not be doable without the Rx antenna.

Yes - that is a downside to using the KX3 for the low bands.  There are solutions - but they require external boxes to switch between RX and TX antennas.  One thought I had was that Elecraft could make the 2nd antenna port on the amp to be the RX antenna port.  And then make a way for the radio to control it as such.  It seems like it would not be hard to do.

The KX3 is a fine little radio but it cant have everything - and still be a little radio I guess.

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »

That is exactly what I was thinking. the kxpa100 looks amazing, and I am sure it is a top notch amp, however is it worth $1000 for essentially a 100 watt external finals kit for the kx3. I just don't know, especially when you can get the tokyo high power amp on ebay new for less than $300... Has anyone who has a kx3 decided to get one yet?

To be fair - the amp only price is $700 adding the tuner brings it up to $1000.

The price slows me down - esp. since the main reason I like the radio is that it is small and and has
batteries in it and I can just take it and some wire and be on the air. 

And yes that does give one pause - but I suspect that Elecraft will have no trouble selling a lot of them.
Many of the other 100 watt amps do not cover 160-6 meters with full auto switching etc.  Maybe we will see
others come on the market since Elecraft has sold quite a few KX3 radios so far.

George
K5TR
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »

Jesus Christ! Do you ever freaking quit?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 03:35:25 AM »

Another 12V splattery CB type amplifier.  Not good at all.

Are you asking whether Jesus Christ ever freaking quits or whether I ever freaking quit?

If you are asking about me, when it comes to bad splattery 12 V CB type amp designs like the KXPA100, no I make sure that they are pointed out.   You obviously have a problem with someone stating their opinion.  

The KXPA100 is only a small notch above the RM Italy amps, but the KXPA100 costs way too much.  A Ham radio manufacturer should strive to produce much better equipment than a manufacturer who caters to illegal CB operation.  As for cost, Elecraft is famous for gouging customers on its accessories.

If you don't like my comments, please feel free to put me on ignore.  I won't mind.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:42:40 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »

Don't feed the trolls, Jon.  Grin

Ex KC9EEV.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »

Yes, the new 100-watt amp is expensive but it is far from a CB amp.  I don't know SWL2002 but unless he works for Elecraft or is a beta-tester, he knows nothing of what he is talking about.  After all, it is not even available yet.  Knowing Wayne and Eric at Elecraft (plus the other designers) this amp will be top notch.  It is actually cheaper than a few other amps in the same category but not by much (not enough to buy dinner for two at a pizza house).

As for me, I own the KX3 as well as  K3/100 and also the KPA500, P3, KAT500, KX1, and other radios and amplifiers too; BUT, I will not be buying the 100-watt amp because I am just fine using the KX3 as my QRP rig and with CW this works just fine for me -- no need for more power.  As for SSB, I have actually only used SSB once with the KX3.  All other activity has been CW.

73, phil, K7PEH
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »

Another 12V splattery CB type amplifier.  Not good at all.

Are you asking whether Jesus Christ ever freaking quits or whether I ever freaking quit?

If you are asking about me, when it comes to bad splattery 12 V CB type amp designs like the KXPA100, no I make sure that they are pointed out.   You obviously have a problem with someone stating their opinion.  

The KXPA100 is only a small notch above the RM Italy amps, but the KXPA100 costs way too much.  A Ham radio manufacturer should strive to produce much better equipment than a manufacturer who caters to illegal CB operation.  As for cost, Elecraft is famous for gouging customers on its accessories.

If you don't like my comments, please feel free to put me on ignore.  I won't mind.

Why, in your infinite wisdom on amps don't you create something that is both commercially viable AND doesn't "splatter" like a CB amp?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: