Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Army Mars  (Read 23551 times)
KF5QVS

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »

I am a high school student and I am considering signing up for Army MARS on my upcoming 17th birthday. I have a few questions as to what it entails.
1. What are some important things to have and know in order to be in Mars? (I already have done IS-100, 200, 700, and 800 for ARES/RACES as well as a HF rig with digi capabilities)
2. Will I actually be considered part of the military, or just a volunteer serving the military with no other affiliation?
3. Will Mars interfere with my school work or my upcoming college?
4. Will I at any point be required to move, be deployed, etc?
5. What are some benefits of being in Mars?
6. Does my state (Oklahoma) have its own Mars site like most others do? If so, what is the URL?

Thanks everyone in advance for any help

73 de KF5QVS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

1.  You will need additional training from Army MARS before being granted a permanent license.  You will need to modify your rig to transmit on MARS frequencies.

2. You will be considered a volunteer serving the military with no other affiliation.

3. Depends on how much time you put in beyond the mandatory participation.

4. No.  They don't even use the term "deployed" anymore.

5. None that I can remember, from my former membership.

6. http://usamars.us/OK/
KF5QVS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »

Thank you very much for you fast response to answer my questions

73 de KF5QVS
KA0P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »

I wish  you the best. I  joined the Missouri  Army Mars program when I was a teenager, and I feel it was what set me on my career path I enjoy now. But that was in 1970- things were a lot simpler then. I ran a Heath DX-60 and drake 2B, and they had cw nets, and I was really welcomed.  i ran AM on the nightly SSB net and never got yelled at. Nowdays need stable modifiable SSB rigs, digital, etc . I would have never been able to afford as a teenager.
See if you can find a nearby MARS member and speak with them. Most of us are in our 60s-70s and up now. When I joined most of the members were WW2 vets in their 40s and 50s.

Might find some other teens in your area and see what they are up to. if you have VHF ARES may be an option.

i got lots of relatives in central OK get back there every once in a while
Best of Luck and keep active.
 73, Dave
WD8DBY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »

KF5QVS,

Thanks for your excellent questions.  As member of MARS, you are serving as a volunteer to provide contingency communications to the Department of Defense, the Armed Forces and other federal and state agencies.  You will need to have your parent's signature until you turn 18 years of age.  It sounds like you already have the station required to operate.  Once you sign up and receive your letter from HQs MARS, you will need to have your radio modified to operate in the MARS frequencies.  You will not be required to move or deploy as a member of MARS.  You will have the opportunity to provide communications from your home station or you may also be linked up to serve from a customer's fixed facility once you complete your training.  There are monthly minimum participation requirements that you must meet:  you must be on the HF freqs a minimum of 15 hours per quarter, you must submit a monthly participation report, and once a quarter you must serve as a net control station...all of these are well within your reach.  Your benefits from joining are the increased operator proficiency you will gain; you will have an increased understanding of HF propagation; you will have the opportunity to participate in state, regional, and national level exercises.  None of this should interfere with your school work. 

For more information, I would ask you to go the Army MARS Facebook site :  https://www.facebook.com/HQArmyMARS
and our public website:  http://www.usarmymars.org/

73s

Paul
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »

KF5QVS,
Hi, if you e-mail me your information I will be glad to foreward it to the region 7 director so that he can send you an application package and fast track your application.
Art- avidmar@sbcglobal.net
AAA5RD region 5 director
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: