Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on the Extra Test  (Read 44915 times)
KV4PL

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »

I took and passed the Tech and General test, they were pretty easy. I read the "A No-Nonsense Amateur Study Guide" for the Tech and General which were free, read them 3-4 times, took the tests here on eham.net until I was getting 90% each time. My question is I've been studying for the extra test and that is quite a bit more difficult than the first 2. There are some very large formulas with square roots and sine calculations. Are there a lot of questions that would have to be calculated on the test? They are in the question pool. I can't imagine remembering any of these formula's that are in the study guide.  Math is not one of my strong points
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »

A good amount will required some calculating but not an overwhelming amount. I used hamtestonline.com to study. I used their program for about 15 hours and I passed. Notice I didnt say aced it. They normally recommend 30 hours of study. The Extra test was the hardest thing I have done since college.
WA6LII

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

I passed the extra last Saturday, just before Field Day kicked off.  I got lucky, the only math question on the test was about the peak to peek voltage of household 120v RMS. No calculator needed. After studying using Hamtest Online (a great resourse) for 14 hours, I passed the Extra with a 94%. Not all that hard.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:35:18 AM »

Just like the other tests, the Extra test is composed of a certain number of questions from each category within the pool. If math isn't your strong suit, it is not a total disaster as long as you can offset that by doing well in other categories that are less math intensive to make up for it.

Good luck!
WB7OBG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:27:34 AM »

I've been studying for the same exam.  It turns out that most of the questions that appear at first glance to require formulas and complex math can be answered by remembering a few 'rules of thumb' and estimating.  There will be only one answer that is close to your estimate.

For example, there are several questions that look like they require you to do rectangular-to-polar conversion.  For example, Question E5B08:

"What is the phase angle between the voltage across and current though a series RLC circuit if Xc is 100 ohms, R is 100 ohms, and Xl is 75 ohms."

I have observed that in every one of these questions the numerical value of the angle is always 14 degrees. Then just remember the ELI the ICE man rule to determine if voltage leads current or vise versa.
W5ZL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »

Personally, I didn't think any of the 3 Amateur test were particularly hard; I was lucky to have written a 100% on all three of them.  For the Technician test, I read over the Question/Answer Pool 3 times then sat for the exam.  About 6 weeks later, I enrolled in the Ham Test Online for the General and Extra tests.

For the Extra exam, I spent 4 days using the software to study the questions and their answers.  Then the next week, I spent 3 days taking the online test that Ham Test Online provided then sat for the Extra Exam and was lucky enough to have written a 100% on it.  When it came to the mathematical questions, being a retired Mathematician, I reduced the formulas to their simplest form and learned to use the "numbers" given in the question and plugged them into the resultant formulas to answer the questions.  Some of the math questions have more information in them than is needed to answer the questions correctly.

I think the repetition used by the software does help in learning the content of the questions and the answers they expect you to give as an answer.  At least, it worked for me on two occasions.

Good luck on your study and sitting for the Extra Ticket.
WB7OBG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »

Here is a youtube video that is an example of what I was saying in an earlier post. Solving what looks like a complex exam question using a rule of thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ENR1Yoz2sFU
WB7OBG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »

Here is another example of an exam question that can be solved vis rule of thumb instead of complex calculations:

E5C22: In rectangular coordinates, what is the impedance of a network consisting of a 10-microhenry inductor in series with a 40-ohm resistor at 500 MHz?

A. 40 + j31,400
B. 40 - j31,400
C. 31,400 + j40
D. 31,400 - j40

Since we know that the resistance is the number on the left and reactance is on the right we immediately know the answer has to be A or B.

All we have to do is remember that inductance is positive and capacitance is negative to determine that the answer is A.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »

I'm also studying for the Extra exam, and like someone said, I scored 100% on both the Technician and General - but I doubt that will happen on the Extra exam.  I am very good at working out numbers in my head, and if you give me a formula, I can work out the answer, but when it comes to remembering formulas, I suck!  All my life, I was raised with the idea that most formulas didn't need to be memorized because like any other form of reference, you could look them up.  In fact, many of my geometry and trig classes either let us look up the formulas in our book, or gave them to us (but it was always up to us to figure out which one was the right one to use).  This was even in college.

This will be a challenge!
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »

Have you noticed that hamtestonline is a common thread here?  I highly recommend using it. 

Also, don't sweat the math.  Study it but don't sweat it.  You can miss all the problems that involve formulas and still pass the exam.

73, John
AA0CW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »

I also used hamtestonline, and passed my Extra exam. Hardest darn test I've ever taken in my life but I passed. Like others have said, don't sweat the math. Good luck!
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »

I studied extra hard on the other sections to make up for any deficiencies in the math. Still, even if you aren't great in math, everything in the study guides is identical to what's on the test, so you can actually memorize questions and answers and not even have to work the math. I don't know if that works, because I was so excited when I passed that I didn't bother asking for my grade, lol.

Dave
KX8N
WB7OBG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »

A quick follow-up from my earlier posts: I took the extra class exam today and passed.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

Congratulations!
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »

A quick follow-up from my earlier posts: I took the extra class exam today and passed.

Excellent!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: