Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is difference between 48K sample and 11250 sample settings  (Read 1183 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »

As I go though various configurations, I read instructions to set the sound card to 2 channel 48K (DVD Quality) and in my case 16 bit. But later in configuration windows I see sampling rate set to 11025 in an edit field.

Should I change that to 48000 to match the setting for the sound card set via ControlPanel sound or should I leave it at 11025?  If I use calibration software like the sound card rate checker that comes with MixW, should I change that 11025 to 48K (or whatever is set in the sound control panel)?

It seems like two different numbers because they are so far apart but seem to be called the same thing (Sample Rate).  Is it that one says, "I can get sound to you at 48K." and the other says, "That's fine, but I'll take that 48K sound from you at 11025?"
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

Typically, if you request a 11025 Hz sample rate from a sound card that internally works at a different rate, e. g. 48 kHz, a decimation algorithm (somewhere in the sound system / drivers of your computer) will re-calculate the data stream accordingly. There's typically no compelling reason though to request a lower sample rate than what the sound card and the program you're using supports.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_%28signal_processing%29

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »

As I go though various configurations, I read instructions to set the sound card to 2 channel 48K (DVD Quality) and in my case 16 bit. But later in configuration windows I see sampling rate set to 11025 in an edit field.

If you are recording music you want a higher sampling rate but for voice or Digi 11025 is more than enough. Some cell service providers use 11025/11k sampling rate for calls and the rest use 8k because it takes less bandwidth with a slight loss of quality.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: