Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco/GRE out of business?  (Read 5502 times)
W5TAH

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

GRE, Alinco has moved out of their office on 425 Harbor Blvd, Belmont, Ca. and their phone is disconnected. I would be leery of buying Alinco now.
VK2ANS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »

You can always buy Alinco from Australia and other countries, hi, hi!
I'll check with Alinco in Japan re the GRE situation.
I believe Alinco was happy dealing with GRE - as both are Japanese radio companies.
I think GRE closed their Japanese scanning receiver factory recently.
Lee, VK2ANS.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

Why so many repeat posts?  This is the third thread you've posted in.  GRE had to move their factory and are looking for another factory site, so their capital investments have to be called in.  Alinco isn't out of business yet--they'll announce it if they do go out of business--but don't expect that announcement to be made anytime soon.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

Yes, repeating my reply from two other forums:

The website (http://www.alinco.com/usa.html, under "Parts & Service) states the following:

All warranty service/repairs should be sent to:

GRE America, Inc. (Authorized Alinco Distributor for USA and Canada)
425 Harbor Blvd. Suite B
Belmont, CA 94002

Apparently (from the information given by this thread's OP) this has changed.  However, I can't see this as being a reflection of Alinco's going out of the business, even if only in the USA market. 

GRE America has been having its own share of problems, with many popular models of their scanners (and Radio Shack versions of their scanners) unavailable from production for some time now, based on China factory redevelopment issues.  I think we should look at GRE as the potential problem here. 

However, someone needs to fill GRE's role in doing Alinco's warranty work, and that question remains open.

EDIT:  Here's a statement from GRE America from last October, referencing their continued support of Alinco warranties. 

from http://www.greamerica.com/support/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=38:

GRE Official Announcement 10/23/2012

October 23, 2012

To our valued Dealers and Customers,

Due to circumstances beyond its control, General Research of Electronics of Japan (GRE)
is temporarily not able to manufacture the GRECOM and Radio Shack branded radio scanners.

The Chinese Government’s plan to redevelop the area where the GRE factory had been in
operation for over ten years finally forced its closure. Anticipating this eventuality,
GRE was in the process of building a new factory but unfortunately the cost of raw materials,
labor and increased taxes created a heavy financial investment burden that could not be
effectively recovered.

GRE America continues to market, support and service the GRECOM branded scanners and is
contractually committed to keep the Library Database updated and current.  GRE America
will continue to market, service and support Alinco’s radio products without any interruption.

We sincerely apologize for this unfortunate turn of events. GRE is proceeding to establish
a contract with a new factory and believes it will be able to restart the manufacturing in
the near future.

For continued sales, service and support, please contact the GRE America office.

Raj Gounder
Director of sales
GRE America, Inc.

Apparently, GRE America's partnership with Alinco was still important to them at that time.
WB6JKV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

Greetings All;

FYI--Alinco is NOT going out of business... Effective July 1st REMTronix, Inc is now the Distributor/Sales and Support in North America and Canada. Same great people, even better service and support! In fact Alinco is growing with new Amateur and Commercial products.The SDR 100 watt HF transciever DX-SR9 will be in this month and will generate some buzz as the price will be under $800.

Mike
        Mike Herbert
           WB6JKV
 Director of Engineering
     REMTronix, Inc.
 2560 Barrington Court
   Hayward, CA. 94545
“Authorized Alinco Distributor”

Direct 510-298-5100 Ext. 3
     FAX 510-887-0314
 mailto:mike@remtronix.com

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

WB6JKV -

Do you know if REMTronix is going to be handling Alinco's warranty service?  If not, who, or when might that be known?

I see from the updated www.alinco.com web site that REMTronix is handling Alinco's warranty support.

I was unable to find a website for REMTronix, but http://www.alinco.com/parts/ seems to have all the necessary answers.

Thanks for that information!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:34:30 PM by N3HFS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: