Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most powerful amp?  (Read 8938 times)
W2ISB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »

You can buy anything you can afford power wise... but why?
In drag racing speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Makes me think of my cross-country drives at over 80 mph average speed for the trips, fun it was, but I'm older and wiser now. Most memorable, passing a Missouri State Trooper at about 90 MPH in my '97 C-5 Vette, him looking over at him and he just smiled... and that was it! Lucky for me he wasn't a Ford guy!
My Henry 5K has sat for the last 6 years, maybe it's time again for a tower and a Yagi... is anyone still on 14.313 Mhz? I honestly miss Herbie and maybe a select few others...buy not OTK.

Gerd, W2ISB
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »

I think a lot has to do with the larger amps having "headroom". I ran the IARU contest in the 80's using a SB-200 that I had built myself, and during a long run of JAs started smelling the transformer overheat. In fact, it got so hot that I had to lower the room AC as low as it would go, (and put on a coat...), and keep the top lid of the amp open. I still ended up with transformer goop leaked inside the case.

I then retired the SB-200 and bought a Amp Supply LK-500. Now I use an AL-1500, which is both easier on the exciter (can run less than 50 watts for 1300-1400W output), and the amp barely gets warm.

73;

Mike, W7VO
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

I think a lot has to do with the larger amps having "headroom". I ran the IARU contest in the 80's using a SB-200 that I had built myself, and during a long run of JAs started smelling the transformer overheat. In fact, it got so hot that I had to lower the room AC as low as it would go, (and put on a coat...), and keep the top lid of the amp open. I still ended up with transformer goop leaked inside the case.

I then retired the SB-200 and bought a Amp Supply LK-500. Now I use an AL-1500, which is both easier on the exciter (can run less than 50 watts for 1300-1400W output), and the amp barely gets warm.

73;

Mike, W7VO

I ran a SB 200 for field day one year. Ran it at about 500 watts out and had no problems. It got pretty warm but not too hot. A small aux fan would not be a bad idea though for high duty cycles.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »

I saw a contest station with a 2 x 3-500Z amp driving a couple of 2x 3-500Z amps. Like sb220 driving 4 SB220 for perhaps 5 KW out. The disadvantage is that tuning takes time so it is a single-band run frequency operation. 
Ignacy, NO9E
K8SOR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 05:11:02 AM »

You do not need a 3-phase line to run 10 KW.  If the amp was only 50% efficient, it would draw less than 90 amps. Check out electric furnaces---most of them draw more than that.  Lots of people think that they need to have tons of power. Try QRP for a change---that's fun
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »

As any motorhead will tell you, there is a certain adrenalin rush when you hear a big V-8 screaming out 600-1000 HP......

Same with a bigass amplifier.  While it doesn't roar, there is an adrenalin rush when you snap the switches and the meters (yes, meterssss...the more the better) swing up and up and up.....

And in both cases there is the ramped up pucker factor caused by the unsettling fear of a blowup; either a rod coming out the side of the block or an arc over inside the amplifier.....

And once either is experienced, going back to the family van for the ride home or setting down in front of the QRP rig, makes you want to cry.   Grin
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »

You do not need a 3-phase line to run 10 KW.  If the amp was only 50% efficient, it would draw less than 90 amps. Check out electric furnaces---most of them draw more than that.  Lots of people think that they need to have tons of power. Try QRP for a change---that's fun

I guess I just can't tell a joke...
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »

Harris makes a number of transmitters in the 50k + range... slight overkill though Smiley

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »

I remember some operators I visited in another country discussing operating ethics:
the military surplus 5kW (possibly DC input rather than RF output) amplifiers were
considered OK because everybody used them.  But the stations running 20kW were
excessive and unfair.  This in a country with a 200 watt limit (and 10 watts on 160m!)
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 05:00:28 PM »

As any motorhead will tell you, there is a certain adrenalin rush when you hear a big V-8 screaming out 600-1000 HP......

Same with a bigass amplifier.  While it doesn't roar, there is an adrenalin rush when you snap the switches and the meters (yes, meterssss...the more the better) swing up and up and up.....

And in both cases there is the ramped up pucker factor caused by the unsettling fear of a blowup; either a rod coming out the side of the block or an arc over inside the amplifier.....

And once either is experienced, going back to the family van for the ride home or setting down in front of the QRP rig, makes you want to cry.   Grin

That is another reason I like my AL-1500. It is big, heavy, loud, dims the shack lights, and the relays go "ker-chunk" when I push down the footswitch! Smiley
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »

Just wondering,  is 1500 Watts the most powerful amp you can buy new in the US?  I know you can buy used ones (i.e, SB-220, etc.) that put out more.
I see ads that say “Export Only” on some amps.  Is that because they can do more than 1500 watts or because the FCC hasn’t blessed them?
I’m just wondering for my own enlightenment.   Grin

I've seen photos of some things that look as large as a refrigerator,  I assume in the day those put out more than 1500 watts.

thanks.

Check check 10-4 good buddy!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »

The irony is that from 1500 to 3000 watts sounds like a lot but it is only 3db and barely noticable.

But when you are over compensating for a smaller.... It makes all the difference in the world  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: