Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanting to build a mobile "ham box"  (Read 7879 times)
W6DPS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

" Two intake fans on the lower front and two exhaust fans upper rear. "

While balanced draft may seem like a good idea, for a "go box" I have found that any "exhaust fans" simply mean that the box will suck in dust from all angles.  You would be surprised how small a hole can pull in copious quantities of dust, especially in the arid south-west where we grow some mighty fine dust.

Fans that push air in, with suitable (easily cleanable) filters will help a lot.

Just my 2 cents worth, refunds available on request...

Dave, W6DPS
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 06:12:27 AM »

The second one of these boxes will house two dual banders, 10 verizon ptt,  HAVE ITS OWN 110V POWER (will be powered by two deep cycle batteries) and will have a laptop mount on top of it.

Whoa, that is not a lightweight rig! Better build in a set of dolly wheels onto it, so you can move it around without busting your gut. Wink

Really--you wanted a "mobile" ham box?  With respects, it's a good thing that it's going to be on a wheeled 'gurney,' because you're probably going to be needing a truck to load that gurney onto!  That's about the only way that it is ever going to be 'mobile'!   Grin
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:19:45 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KJ6HRA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 07:19:10 AM »

Ok I've been given clearance to open up a bit more. Haha.

I work for a major ambulance company that is very established yet young and ever growing. We need to have a "disaster" gurney. The idea being, in a disaster, we wheel this gurney out and have an entire dispatch/command center on it. The gurney we plan to use supports 1200lb EXTENDED so weight is really not an issue.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »

Just a quick question, is everyone that will use this be licensed, or will you be using Commercial band gear, with this mobile setup. if its ham gear, you will all need ham tickets, but if you are using ambulance radios, then you are good. You may also want to think about setting up and external antenna on a 10 or 15 foot mast or such.

Also think about adding some  solar to this and a decent source of power ( like hooking cables to a running bus battery, or a small generator, like the Honda EU 2000 , a great generator and very quiet). Also perhaps a 800 or 1000 watt power inverter for 110 volts to charge cell phones, computers and of course plug in the coffee pot. A dispatcher can't work with out coffee, and the 110 for the computer will be great for the dispatch log computer.   gud luck and have fun, let us know how it turns out.
NJ6OE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

Look at this idea. http://k6ria.net/EmComm/Go%20Kit/Igloo%20Go%20Kit.pdf
It's not my idea but it inspired several versions locally. I've added two 12v batteries and everything uses Anderson Power Poles. Including the female and male cig lighter adapters. Added a mag mount and speaker. This case is very versatile.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »

I've seen a couple of these type thingys built into a "Gator" case.  Those cases come in various sizes and typically have both front and back covers that come off.  There are various racks/plates etc that will fit into them.  Or, make your own 'racks' from drawer slides, everything slides in/out of the case for access.
Power supplies are nice.  You're the one toting the thing so you want a 20 pound PS or a 5 pound one?  (I know which I'd pick.)  You might also equip the thing so that you can connect 12 VDC directly if/when it's available.
There are so many different styles of LEDs available that you should be able to find something to furnish adequate lighting, and more.
And then there's always the 'little things' that you can store in it, if you have the space.  Pens, paper, Snicker bars, whatever.  What was the thingy(s) you forgot the last time you operated somewhere besides home?
Seems like the box always needs to grow a little larger doesn't it?
 - Paul
KA2ODP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

Since you mentioned having an AM/FM radio in addition to a 2-way radio in the same box, it sounds like you might need a "slip seater" box.  A "slip seater box" is used by a trucker who drives for a company, but does not have an assigned truck.  He is constantly jumping from company truck to company truck, depending on the situation (usually filling in for a senior driver on vacation).  The "slip seater box" contains an AM/FM stereo with twin speakers, a CB radio with a separate speaker, and one combined power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.  The "slip seater box" is available in horizontal and vertical models.  The horizontal model is fairly flat and designed to be strapped down on the passenger seat with a seat belt.  The vertical models stand upright and are placed on the flat floor area between the driver and passenger seats in the 18-wheelers.

Do a Google search on "slip seat box" and view the results.  Some boxes are pretty basic and made out of plastic.  Others are made out of metal and very durable looking.  The horizontal models might work best for strapping down onto an ambulance gurney.  Why build a specialized radio box when you can buy one and simply install the desired radios and connect them to the built-in speakers?  The "Gator" cases used for Amateur Radio emergency communications systems are very nice, but might be more than you need for your specific situation.  Check out the web site for "Slip Seat CB" dot com for a starting point on the heavy-duty metal radio boxes.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:26:45 PM by KA2ODP » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: