Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus sofware  (Read 6869 times)
KA5IWO

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »

What FREE virus software is available on line and where can I download it from.
I am still using Windows XP, does what I need, but need to do a scan
of the hard drive to check it for any virus or other headaches.
My mouse seems to freeze sometimes for a few seconds. It
has not been doing this, it acts as if something is running in the background.
What is a good recommended safe FREE virus program that around today.
Do not need one that scans and then ask for your credit card. Angry

Thanks
Kevin
KA5IWO
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »

Assuming you are looking for a "full blown" anti-virus package and not just something for a one-off scan, I would recommend Avast free edition. I've seen it find things that Norton can't and it regularly spots nasties in my email. It's also pretty good at protecting you from malicious websites. It seems much "lighter" resource-wise than many other AV programs. If you want to stick with the free edition you have to read all the program prompts carefully, as it will try to sell you the paid-for Internet Security version - which is fair enough in my opinion. Look out for the small buttons labelled "I want free protection" and avoid those offering a free TRIAL of the paid-for version.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »

AVG is in my opinion far and away the best free program you can get. I work for an IT distributor and we sell everyone there is out there but AVG is far and away the leader.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

AVG is in my opinion far and away the best free program you can get. I work for an IT distributor and we sell everyone there is out there but AVG is far and away the leader.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Actually you want "free.avg.com". I have used it for many years. No need to buy it for most uses.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »

We used to sell AVG but it seems to have gotten a bit "heavy" recently. Avast is lighter for an old machine running XP in my opinion.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

We used to sell AVG but it seems to have gotten a bit "heavy" recently. Avast is lighter for an old machine running XP in my opinion.

The free version of AVG is still lite.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »

Who do you have for an internet supplier (connection)?  Both Comcast and Verizon have dedicated anti-virus software available, and I believe that most larger internet providers do also.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »

Who do you have for an internet supplier (connection)?  Both Comcast and Verizon have dedicated anti-virus software available, and I believe that most larger internet providers do also.

If they do it is usually Norton which is very resource hungry and not friendly to some apps too. Free AVG is pretty solid and has never let me down. On one machine it found things that Norton missed.

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

Microsoft Security Essentials. I have been using it on several WinXP and Win7 computers at home and so far it's kept our computers clean for at least the past couple of years.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 05:59:02 AM »

If they do it is usually Norton which is very resource hungry and not friendly to some apps too. Free AVG is pretty solid and has never let me down. On one machine it found things that Norton missed.

Gee, W8JX, maybe you should follow your own advice and get a newer computer that can handle the load put on it.  

BTW, FYI, Comcast DOES use Norton, but Verizon uses McAfee.  I've used both and prefer Norton, simply because McAfee doesn't provide the control over itself that Norton does.  I'm using the latest Norton suite (complete) right now on an older IBM IntelliStation Z Pro server converted to a desktop unit, running a single 3.2 Ghz Xeon processor (the machine has provisions for a second) with 4 GB of memory--and Norton doesn't slow it down in the slightest.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »

Personally, I try to keep Virus software off my computer. I do that by running anti-virus software.  Cheesy
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »

Oh, wow!  Good one, Bob!   Cheesy
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 06:52:30 AM »

Been running free Microsoft Security Essentials on all machines for quite some time. Does a great job and doesn't bug me.  Note, "bug me" has a dual meaning.

Russ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »

Gee, W8JX, maybe you should follow your own advice and get a newer computer that can handle the load put on it.  

BTW, FYI, Comcast DOES use Norton, but Verizon uses McAfee.  I've used both and prefer Norton, simply because McAfee doesn't provide the control over itself that Norton does.  I'm using the latest Norton suite (complete) right now on an older IBM IntelliStation Z Pro server converted to a desktop unit, running a single 3.2 Ghz Xeon processor (the machine has provisions for a second) with 4 GB of memory--and Norton doesn't slow it down in the slightest.

No it is not about needing a newer machine it is about the un-needed bloat Norton puts in code and registry changes it makes to WinSock too.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:23:52 AM »

Gee, it's funny how some people will do an abrupt 'about-face' and contradict themselves when presented with a situation that goes against their personal thoughts. 
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: