Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most popular email providers.  (Read 6677 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »

Okay, enough is enough!  I've had enough about the controversy over a baby's name (North West?), and having cute photos of puppy dogs and kitty cats shoved in my face, not that there's anything wrong with real puppies and kittens.  The email provider I use has gone too far.  (This isn't really a rant because I think the email provider is just too silly for me to put up with any longer.)   Grin

It's time for me to switch.

I'm curious.  Which free email provider do you prefer?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

There are a lot out there like Gmail and yahoo mail. You might check out outlook.com.  Microsoft phased out Hotmail and replaced it with outlook. Microsoft also owns Skype and plans to integrate them. Outlook also let's you access other email accounts transparently through your outlook account.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »

Gmail
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:55:48 AM »

I also use gmail as well as an email address from my ISP. For known contacts, I use my ISP email, but when I sign up for stuff that requires an email address, I use the gmail address.

All of my email goes through Windows Live Mail (which is available as a stand-alone product) so I can read all of my email in one place regardless of the original source.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:13 AM »

Live.com (now Outlook)  I have two accounts on there and have no problems whatsoever with the service.  I used to have Netzero, but have dropped them ever since they started charging for the permission of an e-mail client (then Outlook Express) to access the account and download the mail.  BTW, that was a few years ago.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »

I also use gmail as well as an email address from my ISP. For known contacts, I use my ISP email, but when I sign up for stuff that requires an email address, I use the gmail address.

All of my email goes through Windows Live Mail (which is available as a stand-alone product) so I can read all of my email in one place regardless of the original source.

As long as your email service provider supports IMAP email protocol you can read it from several devices with ease.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »

I just got my own domain name and a VPS and set up a mail server.  Bit of a learning curve, but my email address is mine for life as a result.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »

I suggest going with a first-class hosting/email provider like QTH.com.  For around $50/year, you can get a domain name, hosting services, and a number of email accounts.  Then use a good email program like Thunderbird.  QTH.com has the best customer service I've seen.

73, Floyd - K8AC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »

I suggest usa.net for a provider.  It's about $30 a year but they allow you to setup alias accounts that will forward directly to your main account.  This feature is great if you want to have your personal account and then another one that you use for ham radio or something else.  If the alias account starts to become a spam magnet you can just change it on the fly and still have your personal account working the same.  Also USA.NET is a serious provider they block spam very efficiently and let you specify emails that are spam so in future that company cannot email you again.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »

Yes, that account is similar to the ARRL e-mail forwarding account in that regard--except that you can't change the ARRL account since it uses your callsign as the address.
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »

I went with gmail.  Not all the phoney baloney non-news junk on every screen like hotmail harassed me with.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »

Gmail. Absolutely.
The most reliable, easiest to use, and most secure, among many other advantages such as excellent spam detection and built-in chat.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

I went with gmail.  Not all the phoney baloney non-news junk on every screen like hotmail harassed me with.

Well you should try Outlook.com that replace hotmail. more capable than Gmail.

WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:40 AM »

I have had a hotmail (hotmail/live/outlook...ad nauseam) account for years.  Recently, their spam/junk filtering has become much more aggressive.  One used to be able to set the level of filtering between low, standard and aggressive.  Now standard and aggressive are the only options.  You can't turn it off to do your own filtering, either.  I have lost a number of emails this way, and now have to view the junk folder frequently.  Despite the agony that changing my email address will bring, I'm considering a change.  My wife has a Gmail account, and the problem is similar there.  If you like the idea of having a hyperactive nanny 100% of the time, Outlook is for you  Smiley

73 de WB0KSL
John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »

I have had a hotmail (hotmail/live/outlook...ad nauseam) account for years.

Funny MS just a launched outlook last fall andI see no ads on win 8 client and it supports virtualizing other account thru it too

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: