Coils, vfos, but most of all hello!

(1/2) > >>

Nick Tiwari:
Hello everybody
I hope my rhyming is what pulled you in to this topic, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. Anyway, I just got my ham license not too long ago, and armed with a knowledge of antique radios (which I repaired for three years) and a fair knowledge of circuits, I decided it would be a good idea to build my own transceiver. Ultimately the process has been fairly easy, and Ive been able to understand almost everything. I am still left with a couple of questions though, which I hope some of you more well rounded hams can help me with. So, I'll shut my piehole and ask the questions

-first and foremost, does anyone know of any better resources with simple, clear directions on how to build an ssb transceiver

-second, I'm not particularly familiar with coils. The resource I am using does not give me the guage of wire for the coils anywhere on the rf amp schematic. It simply says 5 turns FT37-43 and 10 uh. When I looked the coils up on kits and parts.com, I seemed to get that all of these coils used 28 gauge wire, but I'm not sure. Could some one help me find out the wire gauge?
Here is the link to the transceiver's rf amp: http://wb9ipa.qrpradio.com/60meter/rfpa/rfpa.htm

-Finally, I don't see a vfo anywhere on this transceiver. Does it need one? And if so, are there any places where I can learn how to build and add one? Here's the link to the whole transceiver
http://wb9ipa.qrpradio.com/
Once again, I can't thank you guys enough for this. I hope to become a major contributor to this site, and learn as much as I can about ham during the time I'm here
Thanks,
Nick

MARTIN MARRIS:
I may have misunderstood the docs but the design seems to be for a single-band, crystal controlled transceiver operating on a single "channel" in the 60m band. Hence, frequency for both transmit and receive is set by the fixed oscillator. No VFO, although the author does say that operation on other frequencies could be added later. (There are far more knowledgeable people than me on this forum who will correct me if I am wrong.)

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Nick Tiwari:
I did get the inkling from reading that was a bit of a different design. That is one question down thanks. I still might like to add a vfo at some point. Thanks much!

Peter Chadwick:
Nick,

You need to go back through about the last 3 or 4 years of RSGB's RadCom for a series called 'Homebrew' by Eamon Skelton EI9GQ. That should give you all the help you need! I don't know if it's available on line or maybe you can buy a CD.

BTW, who originally had your callsign? It was first issued in about 1949 or 50 - I have thought about taking my father's call (G8ON - issued May 1937) but I've had this one for 50 years now and sort of got attached to it!

Peter G3RZP

:
HKA:  I've read your questions and comments several times and I'm afraid my answer to you could be bad news or at the very least, discouraging!  I certainly hope not.

While repairing antique radios is an excellent electronic learning experience, building a modern SSB transceiver is a whole new animal altogether!

I was subjected to this big time when I decided to build the TAK-40 CW, SSB, PSK-31 QRP transceiver that was the winner of the ARRL HomeBrew Challenge held a few years ago.  The project was to cost $50.00 and was supposed to be able to operate the 3 modes I just mentioned.

Long story shortened, after several years of frustrating work and approximately $300.00, not counting the need to buy an oscilloscope and a frequency counter which cost several hundred more dollars, I finally got the TAK-40 performing as it's supposed to.  This doesn't count the collateral damage of me driving at least three other hams " 'round the bend!"

After decades of building things from many Heathkits to homebrewing countless other things from scratch (Scratch:  American term for obtaining components, forming metal parts, painting, labeling,etc. to build something) the TAK-40 transceiver left me completely demoralized and now self-limited to building simple minded things.

So, go into this adventure with an open mind understanding that modern technology bears absolutely no resemblance to electronics of yesteryear.

Perhaps one of the modern QRP transceivers that are available might be a good place to start.  If you're really ambitious and not afraid to spend some money, try a Ten-Tec kit. With this kit, schematic and circuit description you can start your education and the fulfillment of your dream.

Good luck

AL - K8AXW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page