Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone REALLY know??  (Read 4333 times)
KA5IWO

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »

Does anyone REALLY know who makes the  ::)Baofeng UV-5R  ::)dualband ht??
I have seen it under so many names it funny.
Take a look at this youtube video below, now the Kenwood name
is on it as a TK-F8. I do not know who really makes these radios, but
for around $40.00 they work pretty good. Mine has better sensitivity than
any of my Kenwoods, Yaesu or Icom ht's. Can hear weak signals better than
the big 3 brands.
I know there are pros and cons for these radios but they sure are better
than the ones that were around 10 years or so ago for the price. I sure some of these
cheap brands are still junk, but some seem to be ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-HSC83nEdE
W7EJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »

Sorry, I don't know which Chinese company makes them - but I agree, they are surprisingly excellent (receive and transmit). Even feels solid!

I did have to put on a better antenna - $8

my .02
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »

Not only who are they, but was it really their design? Or was it, like so many other things coming from there, pirated from another designer/manufactuer's product?
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »

...but they sure are better
than the ones that were around 10 years or so ago for the price.

I can't help but laugh at that line.  Radios have become so much cheaper and, for the most part, so much better over the last ten years!  Nevertheless, the thought of being able to buy a fully functional modern dual-band 2-watt pocket-sized HT with charger for around $40-45 (I'm referring specifically to the Baofeng UV-3r, but others are similarly wowsy) would have seemed utterly incredible a decade ago!

Who cares about durability, support, and lifespan at that price!!??  (<--which is why I haven't bought any of them personally)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

I have bought several of the bofanf 3's and 5's and have given them away to young  new hams when they pass their tech ticket at a VE session I was at.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »

I havan't seen any that are electrically copies of other mfg radios.   Most are using a RDA1845 or RDA1846 or similar single solution transceiver IC from RDA MICROELECTRONICS.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »

They are made in a sweat shop in China owned by Sum Ting Wong.     Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »

They are not junk.
However, the manuals and default settings may not be "easy to use" for the USA amateur.
In other words... Programming these can be a challenge.  The default settings are usually to Region 1 or Region 3 standards, not Region 2.
They will work just fine once you program them to what you normally use.
73s.

-Mike.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »

Wait until they figure out drowns, fighter aircraft, cruse missles and submarines.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »

Wait until they figure out drowns, fighter aircraft, cruse missles and submarines.
I think you must have meant drones.  "Drowns" is what happens when you're in over your head. Grin Grin Grin

I'm sure they've ReEngr'd all of what you're concerned with and much more.  Reminds me of my short-while grad school roommate from Taiwan who had paperback, illicit copies of all of my undergrad EE texts that cost me several hundred 1970 dollars and didn't cost him a dime.  I wasn't real happy about that.

But, we get what we invite.  Motorola, Cisco, Intel, GE, and many others have manufactured and now even design in mainland China.  Is it any wonder **why** they copy intellectual and physical property of US companies?  They pay sweat-shop labor rates, so they get well by flipping it around and capitalizing on it by selling copied/cloned merchandise.  Maybe not BaoFeng, but lots of other back alley copies.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

That's a huge jump in technology for them.  The stuff they have been doing so far is pretty easy, they are using chips you can get anywhere and then copying circuit designs and form factors.   With Drones and the rest of stuff, they are going to have to be Chinese designs and use Chinese made chips and other materials from the ground up and they also need the command and control centers, their own GPS satellites (they can't reliably use the USA Sat's) along with a host of other things.  China does not have the mindset to shift that much of their resources into the military, at least not now but in 20 years who knows!
From what I can see their intent is not to challenge the US militarily, they just want to deflate the economy.  Much like what happened to the Soviet union in the 1990's.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

You do know that the People's Liberation Army is the largest military in the world, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Liberation_Army

And let's not forget this little propaganda film from the 1950s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xoHbBkUGSQ

While I'm sure they'd love backdoors into our systems, a) it ain't gonna happen though a Boefang radio, and b) much easier for them to just throw wave upon wave of attackers on us until we run out of defenders.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »

While I'm sure they'd love backdoors into our systems, a) it ain't gonna happen though a Boefang radio, and b) much easier for them to just throw wave upon wave of attackers on us until we run out of defenders.

What you stated is true and thats why China is stricktly a defensive country.  They have a large army but no way to move them very far on land much less over water.   
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

Can't believe how arcane - and prejudicial - some of the comments are around here. 

I'm an American Patriot and not the guy to tout Communism in any way, shape of form, but I do believe in keeping up.  And China has been ramping up their military technologies quite a bit the past few years. 

Their J-2 fighter is rather new and somewhat formidable, though we still enjoy quite the technology edge with our fighters.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5EnjhT9jQ

But perhaps the Chinese military technology to fear is the fact that their government and their army maintain teams of hackers who are pounding away at our computer infrastructure fulltime. 

Those who think that they are doing that just to try to steal secrets don't understand what the real deal is all about.  I pray they don't find out when all the lights go out and don't come back on...

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »

I-owe, I-owe, it's off to work I go.......  I'm not the least concerned about being attacked.  Why would they want to harm the debtor who's working so hard to pay them interest on what we owe them?

But, to invade digital space and take more than what we reveal in Shanghai sweat shops is worrysome.  They might even figure a way to break into Fort Knox's gold storage locker and make off with all that glitters (that hasn't already been dispensed with).

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: