Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone REALLY know??  (Read 4102 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »

Can't believe how arcane - and prejudicial - some of the comments are around here. 

.....Those who think that they are doing that just to try to steal secrets don't understand what the real deal is all about.  I pray they don't find out when all the lights go out and don't come back on...
And, I'm a former utility middle technical manager.  If US utilities are dumb enough (we had a separate dedicated fiber optic network in a counter-rotating sonet ring) to use the public Hinternet to control their systems, they deserve to be hacked.  Cheap begs failure, interruption and defeat.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »

6EM --  I'm agreed with you.  However, the utilities are puttin' more and more stuff out there right on this same Intertubes.  It is stupid.  And it is not just the electric power utes either.  Oil, Gas, even factory assembly lines.  I pray a lot for what's left of my nation. 
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »

Industrial espionage has been a national concern for a long time.  The Chinese aren't the only ones doing it.  Some of our other "friends and supposed allies" do it.  Can't elaborate, but the theft of trade secrets, designs, etc. are not that unusual.

For instance, why did Valerie Plame, the CIA agent outed on purpose by Dick Cheney via Scooter Libby, have most of her autobiography redacted by the CIA?  At least the part about her undergradute degree being in French, however, was quite interesting.  Her first duty station location in Europe was redacted, but it doesn't take a genious to figure out where it probably was......

The US sensitive countries list used to include our allies Taiwan, Israel, and France.  May be different now.

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »

>> ...  I do not know who really makes these radios, but for the price ...

A constant theme on "reviews" of these rigs: "Great for the price ... "

I dunno. Is sub-par performance reproducing CTCSS tones "OK" - just because the price is low?

Is unintuitive manual programming "OK" - 'cause the price is so low?

Is having to purchase an antenna adapter "OK" - 'cause the price is so low?

I remember opening the box of the Yaesu FT-60R the moment it was released in the United States in 2004. Slapped the battery on it, screwed on the antenna, and was able to manually program it without opening the 84-page manual. Yes - I had previous Yaesu experience back then. But I sure have not had that positive experience reproduced many times the past almost-decade (the VX-6R was another easy one).

It just feels like "we" have lowered our expectations and are accepting shortcomings from these cheap rigs. Someone said he gave away cheapies to new hams as gifts. Personally, I find that mildly offensive ... and would rather hand off one of my used FT-60R
radios with their solid, proven performance and ease of manual programming (and I have given a few away).

Just my opinion, of course. But I'll take a proven track record of reliable performance over a "price point" any day.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666 - cell

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Clint, I can recall a time when Yaesu got much the same rants stateside. 

they got better.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »

I remember a lot of carping over the FT-100 in its day and having to research the thick manual to do just about anything besides press the PTT switch.

I have to do that often with my IC-703+ too, so Icom rigs aren't immune.

AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »

But perhaps the Chinese military technology to fear is the fact that their government and their army maintain teams of hackers who are pounding away at our computer infrastructure fulltime. 

Those who think that they are doing that just to try to steal secrets don't understand what the real deal is all about.  I pray they don't find out when all the lights go out and don't come back on...

You are exactly correct.

Ex KC9EEV.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 12:05:27 AM »

From the Baofeng website;

Fujian Nanan Baofeng Electronic Co., Ltd is a professional handheld transceiver manufacturer and a high-tech enterprise, focused on the research &development, production, sales & after-sales service of transceivers and corresponding accessories.
   Since the establishment, our company has been concentrating on the research & development of radio communication, dedicating to the continuous innovation of products, so far, our company has owned an experienced R & D team in the radio communication field, and also developed BAO FENG series transceivers and relatives products.
  At the moment, Baofeng has about 400 staff, it owns about 30000 square meters production base, with the high efficient production capacity and advanced quality control abilities, Baofeng is one of the main manufacturers of wireless communication equipments.
  Our company introduces the advanced production procedures and various modern high-tech equipments; we own 5 SMT production lines, 5 plastic injection production lines and 5 comprehensive production lines.
  We also use various advanced testing instruments to test the product performance, such as comprehensive testing instrument, spectrum analyzer, network analysis instrument, oscillograph, adjustable voltage regulator and so on. In this way, we can make sure the stability and high quality of the products. The production procedures are strictly carried out by ISO 9001:2008 standards. Every item must go through various strict testing, such as vibration testing, anti-pressure testing, high& low temperature testing, rain exposition testing before they are delivered. In this way, we can make sure the product is 100% qualified。
 Our newest design handheld transceiver UV-3R and UV-5R series transceivers got CE Certificate approval (CE NO.: 0678) in March, 2011, and in April, 2011, our UV-3R series transceivers got RoHS approval (RoHS No.: 1103182), these certificates lay the solid foundation of entrance to Europe market for our products. in May, 2012, our UV-5R series transceivers also got FCC from the USA and RoHS approval, which will pave the way to American market for our products. 
 So far, BAOFENG mobile radios have been sold to every market of China, and have many wholesalers and distributors, we have built up the sales net work all over China. In addition, BAOFENG transceivers have also been sold to the USA,Europe, Japan,  Mid-east and South Africa
  Bao Feng holds the operating principle: Grow up with the customers and all the staff.
“Develop the best products, realize the highest cost performance, provide the best service”, this is Bao Feng’s enterprise’s competitive strategy .

If you have any demands or question, please feel free to contact us by email, fax or call. You are also warmly welcomed to visit our factory personally.

So, it appears that Baofeng makes Baofeng products.
W4CKR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 03:19:25 AM »

I'm curious, now, if they'd really give you a tour if you stopped in.  Grin
KD0WDH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »

Hello, first post here, been lurking around for a little while though. I picked up one of these radios when I was trying to decide if this hobby was for me. Not a bad HT, programming was much easier using CHIRP vs. the Baofeng software. A couple of websites with repeater directories will even export directly to CHIRP! As far as Chinese Drone technology, take a look here http://www.dji-innovations.com/, I think they have made a good start.

Cheers,
Shawn
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: