Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FTDX-3000 or IC-7600  (Read 48015 times)
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »

I had a 7600 and now have an ftdx3000.  The 3000 has a much better receiver (quiet), and excellent apfbfilter and cwt. 7600 is WAY overpriced.

Don KF7DS
AE7WC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »

I had a 7600 and now have an ftdx3000.  The 3000 has a much better receiver (quiet), and excellent apfbfilter and cwt. 7600 is WAY overpriced.

Don KF7DS

What's a K3?? Smiley
KK4CRY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »

Don KF7DS

What's a K3?? Smiley

http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3.htm
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »

KK4CRY....

um, WC was joking.
KD2CJJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

For sure the FTDX3000 >7600 > K3

Grin

KK4CRY....

um, WC was joking.

Mike
KD2CJJ
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 07:59:30 AM »

I have a KX3 and although it is a nice radio I don't think I want a K3 as a main. I know it is the overall best performer and the FT-3000 offers down to a 300Hz roofing filter and quieter receive but I think I have changed toward the 7600. While it does not do a lot more than my 950 performance wise (actually a little lower by sherwood standards) it is the best looking radio which plays into the picture as it will probably be my last radio for several years.

Thanks to every body for their input. I have about a month til I have enough to buy it so if anyone can give me a reason to go 3000 instead chime in. I know raising the price $1200 over the 756 pro iii was a bit steep for roofing filters and usb ports but I think Yaesu missed the boat when it comes to lay out and looks. Full screen scope on the 3000 was a nice update but you loose the s-meter. Someone talk me into saving $1000.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »

IF you do much DXing at all,I would go with the 7600. Having the dual receive capabilities is very nice in split frequency pileups. I wouldn't spend the $2300 that a FTDX3000 costs for a rig that didn't do dual receive.

John AF5CC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

IF you do much DXing at all,I would go with the 7600. Having the dual receive capabilities is very nice in split frequency pileups. I wouldn't spend the $2300 that a FTDX3000 costs for a rig that didn't do dual receive.

John AF5CC

I was going to say that but resisted.  I like the DX3000 it has most of the same features as the 7600 but the 7600 has some really nice features that the DX3000 lacks or are not as well implemented.  The top two being Dual Receive and the much better Bandscope on the 7600.   The list goes on but it's all kind of subtle easier ways that the 7600 does certain things. Like the way the 7600 allows quick on the fly contouring of filters, NB and DSP.  The manual notch adjustment and width which is great for removing adjacent QRM. 

I think most people that have a certain opinion about the 7600 have not just spent the time to find out all the things she can do. 
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »

I had and have a few radios. How much I hear depends on whether one neighbor turned on his router, the other one plasma TV, yet another one a dog fence, and whether the power lines are sparking. FT450 in an interference free environment would hear more than IC7800 with all these noises.

Each radio I owned in the past had a strong feature. Excellent NB in IC735,  powerful processed audio in TS-850, smooth and complete FT1000MP, perfect AGC in K2,....     

Whichever radio one buys, it will become old in a few years, or even next year. But each radio brings excitement. So a good choice is to buy radios for excitement, at best used, and selling them later for not that much less.  Buy IC7600, then sell and buy FTDX3000. Or vice versa. 

BTW, K3 has so many happy owners that it is a radio to pick at.

Ignacy, NO9E     
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »

I have owned both the FTDX-3000D and IC-7600.  I operate 99% CW.  My vote goes for the IC-7600 for a few reasons. 

--I found the QSK to be much smoother with the ICOM. 

--I found the layout of the IC-7600 to be much more natural. 

--The ICOM has Dual Watch which is really useful for working DX in split mode. 

--While both transceivers have some susceptibility to AGC clicks, the NB in the IC-7600 pretty much eliminated this phenomenon while keeping AGC settings that are pleasant to listen to.  I now own an FTDX-5000D and it is similar to the FTDX-3000D in this regard--no way to totally eliminate AGC pops like I could in the IC-7600.

The main drawback is that the IC-7600 costs about $1000 more, so you'll have to decide if the benefits are worth that.  Also, from the Yahoo group I'm getting the impression that the IC-7600 could be another static sensitive ICOM rig, with a handful of reports of USB port and PA failure reported.   
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 03:27:56 AM »

Okay, still leaning toward 7600 because as stated above I prefer the ergonomics and looks. If I don't like the performance I can sell, have money to buy the 3000 and put some back in the bank.
     As far as static it is always possible but 3 years ago you read how the power diodes were failing right and left in the FT-950 but I bought one anyway. No problems and after 3 years it is still the best radio I have owned ( 746, Pro II, Jupiter, 7000, TS-2000 to name a few) as far as performance and features. I bought my first one used before the others mentioned and once I had money to buy a brand new radio it was back to the 950 after trying the others,

Thanks for all the input guys. N3IG
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

Like I noted before, I have had a 7600 and now have the 3000. The 3000s Rx is much better. So if the filtering, especially the APF function.

Don KF7DS
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 07:31:10 AM »

To most of the CW op's the K3 is the end all rig but most of these newer radio's when placed in your shack will all op about the same till contest time when the bands fill up with signals. I feel for ME the K3 is ok but maybe I am fussy about RX audio chain, I like radio's that have a low hiss level and that is the one of the things I like about the FTDX3K. The control layout is another and I found the K# way too busy, way too many multi purpose controls. The roofing filter options on radio's like the TT Orion and the K3 are great but in the heat of the battle in contest you really don't have the time to play and dig out the weak ones, the selectivity is either there or its history so I find the fast and easy combo of shift and width controls more than good enough on the FTDX3K. Yes the FTDX5K would be better but even that radio has an over populated front panel. The only thing I miss is a second RX and maybe Yaesu is reading these forum's cause it would be nice to make a just stand alone receiver to mate with this rig and that would be the cats nuts. I kinda miss the way the FT1KMP was laid out but have made the 3K work well. One thing is I am not a die hard CW guy but since I bought this radio I have been on CW more and more, even just to look around and copy some code, I just love the way this radio sound on CW, only have the stock roofing filter (600Hz) but the dsp filtering is soo clean, its like music to my ear's. The band scope is fine enough and yes the P3 can be used if you need more but if the band scope defines what you want buy the Icom, some hams seem to like the boob tube over better RX/TX performance. I love the display of your controls on this rig but to be honest the only things I seem disappointed with are no front panel easy access power out control (must enter a menu but the CS button can be set for this) and the notch control, the IF notch works very well but you have to turn and turn the control were they should look at a firmware upgrade that would give you a fast or slow turning IF notch control. Another plus is the SSB TX audio and PROC control, you can make this rig sound like a DX machine meat grinder for DX which drive the snot outa your amp or Hi Fi rag chew sound if wanted, there are separate setting for with or without the processor on. I feel Yaesu might have another radio up there sleeves soon, something between the 3K and 5K, who knows maybe a FT4K with a spate video display output, more selection on tighter roofing filters (as options) and a second RX like the one in the FTDX1200 for the sub RX.
Jim
KE2TR
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »

Question for FTDX3000 owners:

How hard is it to put out a low power carrier for the purpose of adjusting a tuner?

I have an ICOM AH-4 and needs 5-15 watts to tune. Anymore and it doesn't work. On my FT-450, you could program the C.S button to put out 10 watts CW which made it easy to tune the AH-4. (Of course with an ICOM rig I wouldn't have to do anything since the AH-4 plugs into it directly.) I'm looking at the FTDX3000 and don't see anything similar for the C.S programming options. If I'm working CW at full power, would I be force to do a multi-step option like, diving into the menus to turn down the power or switch to AM and keying up the mic?
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

You can adjust power in cw mode by turning a knob on the 3000's front panel.  I lower power to 10 watts and then key down to put out a carrier when adjusting my manual antenna tuner.

In ssb you must go into the menus to adjust output power.

KB8GAE
Rich
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: