Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on logging software/CAT control for yaesu FT890, beginner, mainly CW  (Read 12596 times)
W2IY

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2013, 10:23:05 AM »

Greetings everyone,
I have never used any logging software or CAT control software before and i am seeking the forum's wisdom on getting started.  Would like to get started learning this technology on my FT890 vacation rig, used mainly on CW.  I have a USB CAT cable for the rig and would like advice on what software to get started with.  Mainly looking for not too complicated, something I can get going on my own, and possibly upgreadeable as I get more experience.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike W2IY
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »

Greetings everyone,
I have never used any logging software or CAT control software before and i am seeking the forum's wisdom on getting started.  Would like to get started learning this technology on my FT890 vacation rig, used mainly on CW.  I have a USB CAT cable for the rig and would like advice on what software to get started with.  Mainly looking for not too complicated, something I can get going on my own, and possibly upgreadeable as I get more experience.  Thanks in advance for your help.

The DXLab Suite is modular, and free. Start with the components you need, get comfortable with them, and then add more if desired. Introductory documentation is directly accessible here:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted

If you have any questions, you are welcome to join the DXLab Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dxlab/

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »

Dave, thanks for the info.  I see you are the DXLab author and many people have very nice things to say about it.  I will give it a try, and I am guessing you may hear from me again Smiley
Mike
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »

Dave, I set it up pretty easily, your on-line directions were very clear.  I am wondering if it's possible to control the keyer speed thru Commander?  I am guessing not because it doesn't look like the control on the rig goes thru the microprocessor.
Thanks again and 73
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »

Dave, I set it up pretty easily, your on-line directions were very clear.  I am wondering if it's possible to control the keyer speed thru Commander?  I am guessing not because it doesn't look like the control on the rig goes thru the microprocessor.

Commander can control the keyer speed for transceivers whose keyer speed is adjustable via CAT command; the FT-890 does not provide this capability. WinWarbler (another component of DXLab) can generate CW via a serial port modem control signal, but I recommend a WinKey-based keyer connected to a USB port for steadier timing; WinWarbler will control such keyers.

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »

Dave,
Thanks again for the reply.  One more ?, I have two QTHs and i would like one of them to show up in the Capture window by default.  I set the "default QTH ID" to the one I want in the DXKeeper Config window Log tab but this does not seem to do it.  Can you give me a hint?
Thanks and 73
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »

Dave,
Thanks again for the reply.  One more ?, I have two QTHs and i would like one of them to show up in the Capture window by default.  I set the "default QTH ID" to the one I want in the DXKeeper Config window Log tab but this does not seem to do it.  Can you give me a hint?
Thanks and 73
Mike

The QTH box in the Capture window is for recording your QSO partner's QTH. Your default "my QTH" will automatically be logged with each QSO without consuming space in the Capture window.

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

Dave, sorry I was not clear - it's the "my QTH ID" box on the right-hand side of the Capture window - it has a drop-down menu with my 2 QTHs listed but i have to choose each time i use a new Capture window.  i was wondering if there was a setting somewhere that let this item be populated automatically?
Thanks again and 73
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

Dave, sorry I was not clear - it's the "my QTH ID" box on the right-hand side of the Capture window - it has a drop-down menu with my 2 QTHs listed but i have to choose each time i use a new Capture window.  i was wondering if there was a setting somewhere that let this item be populated automatically?

Yes: on the Configuration window's Log tab, in the "Log Settings" panel, you'll find a "Default QTH ID" selector.

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »

Dave, I did set that but it does not show up on the Capture page.  Is there a Save somewhere that I missed?
Thanks
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »

Dave, I did set that but it does not show up on the Capture page.  Is there a Save somewhere that I missed?

Did you increase the height of the Capture window so that the "MyQTH ID" selector is visible? Here's a screenshot of a Capture window at "full height":

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/FullCapture.jpg

Note that it's not necessary for the "MyQTH ID" selector to be visible; DXKeeper will initialize it from the specified default for each new QSO you log whether it's visible or not. Most ops run with less of the Capture window visible, e.g.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Capture.jpg

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

Hi Dave, yes, I use the full size Capture window.  Each time I log a contact and the Capture window comes back, the "my QTH ID" field is empty.
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »

Hi Dave, yes, I use the full size Capture window.  Each time I log a contact and the Capture window comes back, the "my QTH ID" field is empty.

Please do the following:

1. confirm that on the Configuration window's Log tab, the "Log Settings" panels' "default QTH ID" selector is set to the ID associated with your default "my QTH".

2. in the Capture window, type my callsign into the Call box, and then strike the Enter or Tab key

3. is the Capture window's "myQTH ID" set to the default value you noted in step 1?

Dave, AA6YQ
W2IY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »

Aaaah!  That does it.  I was expecting the Capture window to open up with the "my QTH ID" populated.  it only populates when I hit "tab" or "return."  Dave, I gotta say thank you for all the attention to my little problem.  i am really enjoying learning this computer-control stuff w/automated logging and though I have no basis for comparison DXLab has been great for me.
Thanks again and 73
Mike
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »

Aaaah!  That does it.  I was expecting the Capture window to open up with the "my QTH ID" populated.  it only populates when I hit "tab" or "return."  Dave, I gotta say thank you for all the attention to my little problem.  i am really enjoying learning this computer-control stuff w/automated logging and though I have no basis for comparison DXLab has been great for me.

Striking tab or Enter after typing a callsign can populate several items in the Capture window, depending upon how you have things configured. Take a look at

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/Logging

For a full description, see

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogNewCapture.htm

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: