Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit IO-18 Oscilloscope  (Read 1366 times)
CHARLESPG

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »

have a Heathkit io -18 Oscilloscope  at home
is there a way to hook it up to a  ft 857d  I assume it works ,scope lites up,line is there  ,have probes but what do I need for a audio hookup Huh
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »

What are you expecting to see?  You can look at received audio by putting a probe across
the speaker leads.  If you want to look at your transmitted signal, you have to have a
demodulator somewhere. If you want your o scope to become a station monitor just by
hooking a probe somewhere you are out of luck. 
So describe what you would like to see and someone can probably give a few hints.
Don't expect much out of the old Heath scope.
Best bet is to read up on stations monitors and other ancilliary equipment before starting to
use old gear and expecting wonders.
Allen KA5N
CHARLESPG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

What are you expecting to see?  You can look at received audio by putting a probe across
the speaker leads.  If you want to look at your transmitted signal, you have to have a
demodulator somewhere. If you want your o scope to become a station monitor just by
hooking a probe somewhere you are out of luck. 
So describe what you would like to see and someone can probably give a few hints.
Don't expect much out of the old Heath scope.
Best bet is to read up on stations monitors and other ancilliary equipment before starting to
use old gear and expecting wonders.
Allen KA5N
wanted to see my signal output from the radio, or the audio signal from my pc...
bought this thing for $99 a few years back as a curiosity ,at a antique shop in Camden SC and because it was a heathkit
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »

You need a 'pickup' to convert the RF signal.  These can be made for a few dollars or with scrapbox parts and there dozens of configurations that work.   However be aware that there is not much you can learn about SSB signals with just an Oscope.  You really need a spectrum analyzer.  

Oscopes are useful for AM operations however.    
http://youtu.be/y4Zt_LJX1Tc
W2AEW has a couple excellent videos on the topic.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php
AM Fone forum has numerous discussion on this and a number of sample circuits.

http://www.cleanrf.com/
Clean RF sells some nice accessories
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: