Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching power supplies  (Read 8520 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »

I have a linear Astron power supply that I use in my shack and am quite pleased with it. However our local club does a few contests a year and when I operate, I like to bring my rig.  That being said, disconnecting my 35 amp linear supply and carting that thing around is a complete pain in the hmmm back.  So I was looking into getting a switcher to use for those applications.

I don't think I need to have anything too special I run a K3 and wouldn't be taking any shack accessories with me. But I worry about noise from said switching supply. Anyone have any good suggestions for a supply that I can use and that costs under $200.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

I have used a Aston SS 30 for several years and have no complaints. Very light weight too. Switching supplies are not effected much by supply voltage variations either.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

Cool. I'll keep my eye out at the Indianapolis hamfest next weekend.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »

I wanted a small switching supply recently, to avoid lugging my thousand-pound linear supply around.  I bought a QJE 30A supply from one of the big vendors just because it was on sale and it little.   It has a "noise offset" control on the front, but I've never needed it, and I've never noticed any significant noise from it.  I'm entirely satisfied with it--FWIW. YMMV.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »

Just my .02, but Samlex supplies have a good reputation too.  Their SEC 1223 would be the one you may want to look at.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

Just my .02, but Samlex supplies have a good reputation too.  Their SEC 1223 would be the one you may want to look at.

The SEC 1223 has numerous problems with noise.  It generates a bunch of noise all over HF.  There are mods on the internet that deal with this however.  I own one and it was reasonably priced, and it has been with me since I was licensed.

I now only use it to charge my batteries so the noise problem is not an issue for me, but it is something to consider.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »

I use a Mega-Watt 30 amp supply on my Yaesu FT-450AT with no noise problems. This supply is inexpensive and in the years I have used it I have had no problems. I also have an Amazon.com power supply I picked up reel cheep (less then $20.00). I fully tested it, and I am using it on my Yaesu FT-4700RH. It is also a 30 amp supply that looks like the Mega-Watt, but comes with no hook up instructions, The hook up is very easy. If you want to save money and do not mind fully testing the cheep supply very thoroughly. Either one of these would work. I get no hash or noise from either one. The Mega-Watt is on HF/6, the unnamed cheapo is on a 2/70 radio.

73s

K2OWK
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »

I use the Astron SS-30M the one with the meters. Been good and reliable for me for 14 years now with no noise at all. It sells for about 165 bucks. I highly recomend it. Good luck and 73. Jim W5JJG
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »

...The SEC 1223 has numerous problems with noise.  It generates a bunch of noise all over HF.  There are mods on the internet that deal with this however.  I own one and it was reasonably priced, and it has been with me since I was licensed....

Any switching supply has that possible problem--the possibility of noise generation.  It's the nature of the beast.  I have a Radio Shack switcher, the 25 amp model--which is also made by Samlex.  I heard about the noise problems with those and was wary--until I plugged it in and saw how quiet it was, fan included.  A buddy of mine got one--and his WAS noisy, and some of the noise was from the fan. 

The only problem I had with mine was some intermittant static after the supply had been in use a few weeks--which I traced down to bad solder joints.  After those were resoldered--quiet once again.  Maybe MFJ got into the act somehow!  73. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

...The SEC 1223 has numerous problems with noise.  It generates a bunch of noise all over HF.  There are mods on the internet that deal with this however.  I own one and it was reasonably priced, and it has been with me since I was licensed....

Any switching supply has that possible problem--the possibility of noise generation.  It's the nature of the beast.  I have a Radio Shack switcher, the 25 amp model--which is also made by Samlex.  I heard about the noise problems with those and was wary--until I plugged it in and saw how quiet it was, fan included.  A buddy of mine got one--and his WAS noisy, and some of the noise was from the fan. 

The only problem I had with mine was some intermittant static after the supply had been in use a few weeks--which I traced down to bad solder joints.  After those were resoldered--quiet once again.  Maybe MFJ got into the act somehow!  73. 

This problem is overstated because modern devices from TV to radios to phone chargers all using switches supplies. With a good design there is no problem.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

I have had good luck with the Alinco DM-330MV.
NZ0T

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »

I've had an MFJ 4125 for years.  Small size, no RFI that I've ever noticed and nary a problem with it.  I've used it in the shack, at FD and at our lake cabin.  The only negative is a loud fan and mods exist to fix that.  Of course there is always the MFJ quality control factor.  I got one that was well made.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

This problem is overstated because modern devices from TV to radios to phone chargers all using switches supplies. With a good design there is no problem.

It's only overstated if you don't have a noisy switching power supply like the SEC-1223.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »

It's only overstated if you don't have a noisy switching power supply like the SEC-1223.

Not to push the matter, but just because you have one that is noisy doesn't make all of the Samlex supplies bad.  The reviews section here has the score of 4.4 out of 5 for an average.  That's pretty good--for what you claim is a bad, noisy power supply.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:21:49 PM by K1CJS » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »

Not to push the matter, but just because you have one that is noisy doesn't make all of the Samlex supplies bad.  The reviews section here has the score of 4.4 out of 5 for an average.  That's pretty good ...

I have one of those Radio Shack 25A switching supplies that you mentioned earlier.  A few years ago I needed a PS fast and couldn't wait for mail-order, so I went to the mall and bought that one.  These days it's mostly for backup, secondary use, and back-yard portable operating.  The one I bought is also perfectly decent--no detectable noise.  No complaints here!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: