Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a VHF/UHF vertical antenna for OTA Digital TV  (Read 4733 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:15:12 PM »

If you have a VHF/UHF vertical antenna for your ham rig, you can also use it for OTA Digital TV and it will outperform 8 bay types and is omnidirectional also.
Just connect a Radio Shack SO-239 male to F-connector #278-258 and get great reception on TV for free.  Bill
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

Aren't TV sigs still horizontally polarized? 

UHF bands and above, there might be multipathing and twisting going on, depending upon surroundings. 

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »

TV / FM signals are now almost all circularly polarized. The trend started 30-ish years ago as receiving equipment became more portable with antennas less conventional. While I'd question the claim an omnidirectional UHF vertical can outperform the classic 8-Bay Bowtie, given a reasonable location it should work FB on DTV signals.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:57 AM »

I've been doing that for a while now, but I would stop short of saying it will outperform 8 bay types--unless either you don't have the 8 bay antenna pointed at the transmitter location or just have it up in the air with no regard to where it's pointed.
AC6IJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »

The 8 bay TV antenna I am using works great and it has the reflector screen at the back and pulls in stations real well that it is pointed at however when I tried the VHF/UHF vertical ham antenna it pulled in other stations that were at the side of and back end of the 8 bay antenna. All I can say is try your VHF/UHF vertical antenna if you have one and judge for yourself. I works for me so I'm passing it along. Bill
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

Given the length in must work GREAT right under the antenna, but then again so would a piece of linguini.  I'll bet one of those "Make your house wiring an antenna" devices will pull  'em in , too. 
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »

Back when I first got my ticket I had a four element 2m Quad in the attic of my parents house, it was setup for horizontal polarization because at the time I was into sideband operation. On a whim I connected it to the portable TV I had in my room and found that it gave amazing reception of UHF TV, much better than the loop antenna that was on top of the set.

So, try it and see!

Tanakasan
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »

No doubt the 144/440MHz ham antenna mounted higher works better than an antenna on top of the set. However, I doubt that the ham antenna (especially vertical) will outperform a properly designed TV antenna that is mounted at the same location. The ham antennas generally don't have the bandwidth to cover the TV band or even to cover the bandwidth of one TV channel. Its kind of like placing a 5 element Yagi on the ground and claiming that a J-Pole is a better performing antenna when you have the J-Pole mounted at 50 feet.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »

IF omnidirectionality is the OP's goal, then the vertical, matched properly or not, is likely to look like the better performer to the OP. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: