Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HeathKit UNASSEMBLED!!!! Cheap!!  (Read 3113 times)
KA5N

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »

What a DEAL!!  Unassembled in original boxes  Heathkit  SB-104a  on EBAY   all for the
unheard of price of $11,995.00 !!!  Just think for a tad less than $12,000 you can build
a transceiver from a kit that when completed will not have the features nor the capability
of today's cheapest rig.  Warning!! once you touch a soldering iron to this kit, it's value
plummets.   
Don't let this one slip away!!

Allen  KA5N 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »

I think you're a little late. Check out ( ! ) in the Home Brew forum.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »

JKA     

Late about what?  post was not about assembling Heathkits, but was about the ridiculous
prices people want (and often receive) for unassembled kits.   All those posts that were in
"home brew" belong somewhere else. 

Have a nice day.

Allen KA5N
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:25:07 AM »

The package also includes the SB-230 AMP and other $50ish options. Shipping is $200.
I can see someone paying $1500 for the package. Possibly $2500 from a retiree looking for a trip down memory but
in 2013 I see the Heath Package as junk in comparison to an under $1000 new rig.

It will be interesting to see if this Heath Package even sells - given the seller may have a minimum bid.
Ed - K1MMI
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »

My bad,Sorry.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »

My first HF rig was a very very used SB-104A.  I had a world of fun with that radio!  I can definitely see buying one some day just for fun.  But at that price, the package would have to include a new car and a Victoria's Secret model to get me to reach for my credit card.   Wink
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »

P.T.Barnum said, "There's one born every minute and two to take him!"  

Personally, I fail to see the difference between a guy who really wants unassembled Heathkits and is willing to pay $10K + for them and another guy who is flush willing to spend $10K + for a transceiver just to talk to someone.  Maybe.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:55:09 AM by K8AXW » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

That rig was only for the most skilled to assemble. Hopefully it corrected the problems of the original `104. The SB-230 amp is not reccomended either,because of the "convection cooling" which used the berrilium oxide (poison) for cooling. You could buy a mighty fine tower/antenna/modern radio/amp for that kind of money. Truly stupid. I think they`re trying to sell the nostalgic appeal. Not knocking Heath,just saying there were better Heath rigs. If only Heath had released the SB-103 (a prototype was built),and not been in such a hurry to release a solid state rig,it may have faired better for them.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »

Late about what?  post was not about assembling Heathkits, but was about the ridiculous
prices people want (and often receive) for unassembled kits....

So was the other thread. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

...It will be interesting to see if this Heath Package even sells - given the seller may have a minimum bid.
Ed - K1MMI

It's listed with that price on a 'buy it now' basis--another words, that price firm.  There isn't even the option to allow offers on it turned on for the auction.

My guess is that this is an auction by relatives of a SK who really don't know that what they've got is not worth as much as they're asking, and if they've gotten any advice, it was bad advice.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »

OMG, beryllium oxide!  call the bomb squad and have them remove all your ceramic power tubes!

BeO is like asbestos... beware, but it's not putting on a goalie mask at midnight, picking up a chain saw for each hand, and coming through the neighborhood to say "hi."  dust and chips are incredibly bad; if you are among the 50-80% that are sensitive, berylliosis will turn your lungs to leather and take you out in hours to days.

if you don't make dust or chips, it's as inert and stable as a nice metallic lamp in the corner.

be very cautious if there is a heatsink paste on the BeO heatsink, for some lunatics once had the idea that if the heatsink was good, mixing BeO powder in grease for better heat transfer would be better.

allegedly if you are through with pieces of the stuff, they are supposed to be double-bagged and sent to Brush for proper disposal, the last manufacturer.

for that matter, there was a ceramics outfit that used to advertise in old (40s, 50s) QSTs that wanted you to specify their magic ceramic for insulation.  yes, beryllium ceramic.  so don't go drilling holes in old ceramic castings to make another connection point.  BeO passes X-rays while alumina ceramics don't so if you want to substitute hazards, you can build a X-ray tester to see if your parts have beryllium ceramic.

there are lawsuits by radiation workers who claim their beryllium copper "sparkproof" tools have poisoned them.  something to maybe think about if you are carrying beryllium clubs in your golf bag.  "copper" heatsinks may well be beryllium copper alloy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:09:20 AM by KD0REQ » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: