Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-200 what won't power up?  (Read 4264 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »

Again, not talking "full high voltage" at all, which actually is the point. 

Nor was I but one 100 watt bulb is too much resistance to really test anything here. Simple math.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AB1MN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 04:29:59 AM »

If the amp has a "soft start", running at reduced ac input voltage may not provide enough voltage to pick the soft-start relay. This leaves the soft-start resistor in the circuit indefinitely and may cause it to overheat and open up.

Unfortunately, this is a behavior that interferes with the ability to bring an amp up slowly using a variac and, presumably, could also be a problem when using a series light bulb as a current limiter.

Bob
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

should be internal circuit breakers. hopefully one of them popped and saved your transformers
Regards,
Dick
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:19 AM »

should be internal circuit breakers. hopefully one of them popped and saved your transformers
Regards,
Dick

any idea why it would pop the breakers after running for 4 hours with no load on it?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

WALTERB, more information is needed.

1. Was the amp HV on for 4 hours?
2. Was only filament and fan power on for 4 hours?
3. Have you reset the breakers and powered it again? This will take but a few minutes.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »

How would you power up a SB 200 without HV? Unless it had been modified I think it would have HV on when the power is applied. Also WalterB how about answering some questions that were asked so a logical solution to the problem may be possible. Since I own a SB200 I am curious as to what the problem is with your amp if there is one. Were the circuit breakers tripped in the amp?
Have you checked for the burning smell origin? Have you followed the suggestions made by K8AXW? Once the supply and primary of the transformer are verified as good as well as the power switch for the amp, try pugging it in to another receptacle to see if the fan will run.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:09:40 PM by K4RVN » Logged
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »

I picked it up a few weeks ago. at the suggestion of my Elmer, I put a Variac on it, about 4 hours into the powering up process, I walked out of the room, when  I came back, the Variac was going but the amp was dead.  Shocked Slight electrical smell in the air, like something burned up.  I plugged it directly into the outlet, and nothing. 

I assume it is an internal fuse?  Capacitors?  I guess this is my chance to rebuild an amp?  Grin

thanks.

Very little information to go on but I have one question.............Does this amp have a step start unit in it by Harbach?  Yes or No?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: