The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bird Deterrents?  (Read 25789 times)
G0MGX

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »

Hi All

I have a modest antenna setup in the UK and am plagued by birds (of the feathered variety).

I have tried installing an Owl "decoy" at the very top of the antennas but this seems to have had little or no effect.  Huh

The problem is the XYL sits outside directly under the antennas and her, plus the outside furniture, are getting covered in.....  Shocked

Any suggestion for bird deterrent to go with antennas?

To give you an idea of the setup, there's a picture of Oliver the owl on the antennas at the end of this post here:

http://g0mgx.blogspot.com/2012/08/top-band-what-happens-there-then.html

Thanks

Mark. G0MGX
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »

Mark,

Forget the plastic owl, they don't work very well.  Before I retired I worked with large phased array antennas for air surveillance radars, and our integration and test facility had a constant problem with birds.  Our Test Manager sprung for a few of the plastic owls and even got the good ones with heads that bobble and rotate in the wind.  However, he swears he saw one of the budgies try and mate with one.

Don, K2DC
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »

Search for the slowly rotating arm that boaters use at dockside.  You pretty much need to be using moving parts to prevent the birds from resting, or fixed, sharp plastic points to make it undesirable to alight.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »

Just get a good BB gun. Once you pop one or two of them the rest usually stay away.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16:25 AM »

Birds don't like snakes. Take about a foot or two of black 3/8/-1/2 in dia. light  flexible      plastic or rubber tubing ,build one end up (black electrical tape) a little to look like snakes head,paint yellow eyes.Lower antenna and coil snake around wire.gaden(milk) snakes are common here in Maine, a couple of these on a 66 ft. dipole will keep the majority of birds away.Works on aluminum beam antennas as well.

WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

We have a product called "Tanglefoot" that is a sticky goo: the birds don't like to perch
on it because their feet stick to the antenna.  I don't know how long it would last
up in the air, however.

Wrapping some Astroturf or other synthetic grass (or similar materials sometimes sold
as door mats) around the elements may provide enough plastic spikes to discourage
some birds.

I've seen vineyards use several methods for discouraging birds:  strips of reflective
Mylar tape tied between posts with a couple of twists to it - the twists move along
the tape causing sunlight to be reflected in various directions.  This seems to be
one of the more effective methods:  birds don't like the continuously changing pattern
when they are watching out for predators.  Some sort of mobile structure with hanging
reflective objects (such as computer CDs) that provides a constantly changing light
pattern may work as well.

The other approach was a kite shaped like the silhouette of a falcon:  birds really don't
like having a predator soaring overhead!  Typically these were on perhaps a 16' pole with
a 12' string so the kite didn't lay on the ground, then it would fly all on its own when
the wind came up.
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »

Build a small micro controller that blips your rotor every few minutes. You could even do it only during the day/have it time controlled.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

one of 2 fixes, either 1 move the furniture, or 2 get a large outdoor antenna and mount it in the strategic location..
G0MGX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

All excellent - thanks for the replies.

Regarding moving the rotator from time to time - the damn birds actually lean when the antennas turn....

Mark.
G0MGX
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:05:55 PM »

Rubber snakes work great. Here in the US I get them at Wal-Mart. They should be available in any party store. I use them in the trees that are over our deck furniture. The only thing is you must move them every few days or the birds will soon realize they are not real. The other thing you can try are old Cd's on a string, they spin in the breeze and there bright serface reflects light.

Good luck

Hope this helps,

73s

K2OWK
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »

If the snakes don't do the job,
you can always get a Falcon.

73 james
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:50 AM »

a few tyewraps with the tail uncut and pointing up will cure the problem as will some nylon fishing line between the elements.  Had the problem on my sailboat tyewraps on the spreader, and also with my pool with ducks..  a couple of lines overhead for the ducks, just hitting the line solved the problem.. Fred
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »

At my location I have found minimal bird droppings if I point the beam North.  Perhaps the direction of the local breeze with respect to the element roost dissuades pooping.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Move the location where the XYL sits?

SMAUG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

+1 for the air rifle idea.

If the local regulations are too restrictive for that to be practical, there is likely a local airgunner looking for just such an opportunity.

The only problem with that idea is that the pellets have to come down somewhere, and if you're in a residential area, it might be on some other neighbor's head.

By the time they come down though, they will be tumbling, and .177 cal. pellets are not too heavy.

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: