Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you QRP?  (Read 15360 times)
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:47 AM »

Tried posting this once, but I made the mistake of hitting the 'next' click to reply, which went to the next topic not the next page.  OOPS!

So, here it is, and sorry for the post in the other thread!

I have a K2 with a lot of options.

I was going to get the internal battery option, but I don't use it that much where I would need it.  In the house I keep it hooked to a small gel cell.

But when I do something like camping or on the deck with a beverage (NOT an antenna) I have one of those car 'jump start' things about the size of a kids lunchbox.  I think it's a 7AH battery in the thing.  Works great for portable operation.  I have the built-in ATU and have a 40M dipole made with 24ga wire and fed with very light duty 300 ohm twinlead.  Then use a BNC to to binding post adapter to hook to the radio.  Easy to use hemp twine to throw it in the trees and then just yank it down when done.

Now I also have an FT-817 with an Elecraft T1 tuner and PIC interface as well.  And I just ordered a car plug cable for the thing to use the same battery pack.
PINEAPPLEFRENZY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »

I QRP on an ICOM IC-703 with a St. Louis Doublet antenna hung from a 20' Crappie Pole in an inverted vee configuration. Though I usually run 10W SSB (sorry to all of you purists out there), I still stick to <5W CW (Usually 2.5W or less). I use a 7ah AGM battery which I have yet to exhaust in the field. My longest continuous session in the field so far was in excess of five hours. Setup is a snap and I can go from backpack to QSO in less than 20 minutes.

My job takes me to some pretty remote places in the world. QRP gives me the opportunity to take my hobby with me so I can take advantage of any free time I might have when I'm away. I also enjoy taking my rig with me when I'm out hiking or even across the street in the park. It's an excuse to get outside, soak up the sun, and make some contacts.

Because I like to tinker, QRP also gives me the chance to experiment with different antenna configurations. Nothing I like better than researching new antennas and turning them into working systems. I feel safer home-brewing at QRP power levels than I would at 100w.

I think my next step in QRP will be to incorporate a solar panel into my setup. But there's no rush. As I said before, I have yet to run out of juice in the field.

Honestly, nothing in HAM radio has offered me this much of a challenge for the price. I could get into regular contesting, but I don't have $20,000 to spend on a tower, beam, full featured rig, headset, etc...

I'm happy with the thrill I get from making a contact half way across the world on only 10W (2.5W), even if it would have been a snap at 100W. And ultimately, that's what QRP is all about, challenging yourself to maximize your capability within the limits of your equipment / budget / skill level.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: