Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N6PSE interviewed about P5 on BBC's World Update  (Read 6638 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:47 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007dhp8

Interview was today (7/10), looks like it takes a few days before they post the recording.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:16:32 AM »

OK....so everyone does not go thru the pain I did to find it on the audio stream, the interview starts at 37:00.....

Good stuff Paul, and CONGRATS on the global publicity!...And good luck with your efforts, especially with the issues regarding power/electricity....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:22:23 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the link and the 37 min info.
BTW make sure to listen to the last 3 minutes, he brings up Ham Radio again and reads letters from Hams.
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »

It is very interesting when speaking to the BBC. They really understand Amateur Radio and why we do what we do.

Paul N6PSE
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »

It is very interesting when speaking to the BBC. They really understand Amateur Radio and why we do what we do.

Paul N6PSE

Paul: Here is the reason why!:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6514011.stm

albeit a 30+ year old reason....However, in abandoning their shortwave frequencies over the course of the last 10+ years, do they really understand?Huh.....makes one wonder.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.......

V
KA3NRX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

BBC has been hit with Massive budget cuts, don't be too hard on them they are really just making ends meet as is.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »

BBC has been hit with Massive budget cuts, don't be too hard on them they are really just making ends meet as is.

They have $$$ for internet....they have $$$$ for satellite......they have money to move from Bush House into a brand spanking new state of the art section of Broadcasting House....they have money for this and that, and everything but for shortwave......If I feel sorry for anyone, it's the UK taxpayer having to put up with what they put up with.....and not just regarding the BBC....... Wink Shocked......

V
KA3NRX
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

They have $$$ for internet....they have $$$$ for satellite......they have money to move from Bush House into a brand spanking new state of the art section of Broadcasting House....they have money for this and that, and everything but for shortwave......If I feel sorry for anyone, it's the UK taxpayer having to put up with what they put up with.....and not just regarding the BBC....... Wink Shocked......
V
KA3NRX

If they don't spend money on Satellite and Internet how can they possibly survive against the competition?
Shortwave radio is pretty much a dead medium!  We all wish that was not true but it is, so you really can't expect BBC to be pouring money into old technology.   Regardless the fact is that the BBC has had their budget slashed by the Government so don't expect them to operate like they did 5 years ago.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »

V
KA3NRX

If they don't spend money on Satellite and Internet how can they possibly survive against the competition?
Shortwave radio is pretty much a dead medium!  We all wish that was not true but it is, so you really can't expect BBC to be pouring money into old technology.   Regardless the fact is that the BBC has had their budget slashed by the Government so don't expect them to operate like they did 5 years ago.

Old technologies....You mean like Ham Radio?....... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.............
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

Yes but luckily Ham Radio is driven by dedicated users that love it for what it is.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:02:32 AM »

I can't argue that point....That scenario will never exist in the realm of Government or in any business, as is the case with broadcasting on Shortwave.....my guess is that some slick talking sales person hoodwinked these broadcast outlets and governments into abandoning radio because....well....it's free.....you don't have to subscribe to anything......so if you want to listen to a BBC cast, you now have to pay a cable outlet, or an internet provider to do so...right or wrong, it's business....No love & dedication when it comes to business....and especially doing business with GOVERNMENT...there is no question outlets like BBC are getting some kind of revenue stream from being on the internet that they never would have had if they were still on shortwave....that's all well and good....abandoning a medium that is still viable, that to me is up for debate...kind of like code vs no code in a sense...interesting...... Shocked
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:03:58 AM »

I think they still have shortwave, just not to North America. There is still plenty of shortwave being beamed to Africa and Asia.

And that is because it is much more cost effective to stream it over the Internet for places like North America but in the jungle or desert there is no internet except for very expensive satellite.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:06:53 AM by N2RJ » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »

I also know that BBC has setup local FM repeaters in many countries.
They take the Internet feed and rebroadcast it via local radio 24/7
IMO this is easier than the people trying to buy SW radios which have become a bit of a rarity.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »

North Korea is in the news today.  Let's see what happens to tourism there after the dxpedition Cheesy  From CNN:

"In addition, recent visits from Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt and former U.S. basketball star Dennis Rodman have boosted North Korea's popularity as a travel destination.

Tour operators say a record number of foreigners were coming to this year's Arirang Festival, a seven-week celebration of gymnastics and music that began Monday at Pyongyang's May Day Stadium."

Jonathan W6GX
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »

There were very few tourist there in June.  My guide told me that China was not authorizing their people to visit the DPRK as a means of establishing diplomatic leverage over the many threats made earlier in the year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: