Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What factors do you take into account when you buy a rig?  (Read 36488 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »

It all depends on how much money I have available to spend.

Under $1000
I am looking at something like the 857D

Under $4000
I want something that sounds goods, has a nice receiver that does not stress my ears, I also want as many QRN and QRM fighting tools as I can get my hands on.  That includes DSP chips, Twin Band Pass, Roofing filters and a good Noise Blanker.

Next comes Ergonomics.  If it's not comfortable to use whats the point!   I want all my day to day buttons and Knobs right in front of me in a logical layout.  I want it to be intuitive, I don't want to be pulling out a booklet to find out how to do something!   I also want as many other customization features as they can pack, just so long as they are in easy to access menus.  I would rather have a feature that I might never use than to not have it and one day need it.

Dual Receivers or at least Dual Watch.  That's a must have item because its a very handy tool for pileups.

If I had over $8000 to spend:
So long as it receives well and has good Tx Audio then I say Bring it on!  All the bells and whistles, I will take it all but I do prefer if its not all in my face and gets too confusing.

As stated by others and now well known by the OP, I don't regard the Test results by Sherwood or QST as anything important in my decision making.  I think it's much smarter to listen to a radio before buying it or read reviews and watch as many youtube video reviews as you can find.

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »

Value in price of radio
Digital Voice Recorder
200 watts standard output
DSP Noise Functions
Good RCVR specs.
Standard 8-pin plug
Analog Meter
All Mode

73 K1WJ David
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

Value in price of radio
Digital Voice Recorder
200 watts standard output
DSP Noise Functions
Good RCVR specs.
Standard 8-pin plug
Analog Meter
All Mode

73 K1WJ David

Those features describe my last rig... I had a Yaesu FT-2000D. I loved everything about that rig except the selectivity on CW. If I could have afforded the FTDX-5000 I would have gone with it, I loved the looks of my 2000.

But then I remember, the planned obselence of Japanese rigs, and am glad I went a different direction. It seems, all but the FTDX-5000MP are already discontinued.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:23:52 PM by AD9DX » Logged

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »

1. Features I need/want vs. the budget at the time.
2. If it's used how hard are parts to come by.
3. If it's a small rig is there enough room for my larger/older hands to work on it?
4. Minimum of menus to deal with and knobs that replace primary functions like the older radios.

I prefer larger radios personally.
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »

Dual receivers. 
Blocking dynamic range.
Noise filtering capability.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »

Ditto on the noise filtering.  Also, the noise floor figures.  Always amazes me the differences in receivers even within a single manufacturer's line.  Nothing worse that getting the crap beaten out of you from a noisy receiver.

W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

For me it's pretty simple.

If its new I get away from knob twiddling and use SDR.

If its old, build quality and performance in that order.

If its very old, build quality and condition.

SDR is what I use for DX work (I don't waste my time contesting, I don't need awards to validate my station or my operation. I like conversation) If I am in the mood for firing up some tubes, then it's the Collins KWS-1 and 75A-4.

BTW, my antennas are much more important, you could own the perfect station with the best radios but if you can't get out or hear, what's the point. I know that on my antennas I can hear and be heard well with a stock ol' beat up FT-101 (and no ... I no longer have a 101).

John, W2WDX
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:51:56 PM by W2WDX » Logged

K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

I spend my ham funds very carefully on new (to me) radios.  I don't adopt early.  I see what my peer operators (mostly contesters and DXpeditioners) are using.  I try those radios.  In the past, I tried them under fire in multioperator contest environments.  Now, that I have a family and am doing less of that, it's a matter of trying out whenever.  If it's used, I buy a radio that was "good" when it was new.  I buy for the long-term.  If I'm spending more than 500-1000 USD on a radio, I want to keep it for 5, 10, 20 years.  The radio has to be easy to operate under pressure and for long periods.  I tested the K3 in this regard by taking it to a somewhat rare IOTA (NA-039) the first week I owned it.  It passed.  I am setup for SO2R in contests.  I do not demand symmetry.  One of the radios has to be DXpedition-worthy.  My second radio is a TS-930S loaded with 4 Inrad filters (2 SSB + 2 CW) and the roofing filter.  It sounds good and has wonderful group delay characteristics that help separate callers in a pileup.  Great for running Europe in ARRL DX CW, etc, when I get pileups from home.  I can and do repair the 930 myself.  I believe that Elecraft will continue to support the K3 for at least another 5 years, if not longer, as long as they can maintain parts stock.  So, that was important also.  Basically everything that K5TR and WB2WIK said...
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

In no particular order:

Power. I don't want the additional cost of an amp, so one reason why I bought the Icom 7700 is because it's 200 W, which is plenty for my needs.

Reputation and reviews. Does the PA have a tendency to die young? Are the menus Byzantine? Any quirks that are tough to live with on a daily basis? How is the vendor's support?

Receive audio. Another reason why I bought the Icom 7700. The Kenwood TS-570SG is a fantastic rig, but I never could get the receive audio sounding as rich and natural as my Icom R70.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »

Hi all

I would take in consideration:
1 Durability
2 RX audio and TX audio in both CW as SSB.
3 RX quality in close in spacing and on crowded bands.
4 Build quality and bugs, every rig has its good and bad points, can the good points overcome the bad points.
5 Easyness and comphort in use.
6 Is the radio complete or do I need a lot of extras like filters, microphone, etc.
7 Is the rig compatible with my amplifier or my tuner or my auto antenna switch or my noise cannceler.
Though almost every rig I had did this OK.

And ofcourse i do not have to tell you that the most fantastic rig will work very bad when the antenna isn't up for its job.
Better a what cheaper rig on a good antenna as vice versa.

73 Jos

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »

1) Can I get it into the house?
2) Will the wife find out?
3) Watt is the price?
4) Can I hide it from the wife?
5) Will it pass the #2 test?

klc

FWIW, I ask myself if the money would be better spent on antenna projects, as multiple ops pointed out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:27:12 AM by KB2WIG » Logged
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »

3) Watt is the price?

+1
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

3) Watt is the price?

+1

I guess I am really lucky... if I can afford it, the wife does not care one bit.  However she really likes my K3 so if I was to sell it I think she might be a bit sad.  I guess she was excited for me when I got it. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »

if I can afford it, the wife does not care one bit.  

Same here, fortunately.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »

if I can afford it, the wife does not care one bit.  

Same here, fortunately.

I hear all of the stories about hams who have to sneak stuff in and I think... Why would you want to be married to someone like that?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: