Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What factors do you take into account when you buy a rig?  (Read 32543 times)
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »

I hear all of the stories about hams who have to sneak stuff in and I think... Why would you want to be married to someone like that?

Or married to a woman you refer to as "the wife". Sounds like an object of disdain, not a true friend you wouldn't want to live without.

Strange isn't it? Grown a$$ men sneaking around to do something they enjoy, talking about radios they love but supposed life partners with whom they can't be honest.

Don N4TTS
AB4O

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 06:08:38 AM »

No, Don. My wife bought me my current all Ten-Tec Omni VI+ setup years ago. I as a new ham said, that will be the last radio I will ever need. Silly, ham tricks are for kids. Check that up as stupid in my book.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »

I think the key is to make sure her hobbies are funded to a level acceptable to her also.

The only time I caught crap for buying a piece of gear was when on a whim I bought a broken to heck Alpha 76a at Dayton. I caught crap because I left the transformer on the kitchen table and she tried to move it and scratched the table. She said, "do they make those things heavy so you boys feel macho"?  I said yup and it worked  Cheesy

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

if I can afford it, the wife does not care one bit.  

Same here, fortunately.

I hear all of the stories about hams who have to sneak stuff in and I think... Why would you want to be married to someone like that?

Because that's how the best Marriages work!  It's all a question of checks and balances.  If my wife was not watching me I would go out and probably buy a 990 or Icom 7800 but she keeps me from acting on my impulses.  Same thing in the other direction, she would love to buy a lot of things for the house or for herself but she knows I am watching so she does what she can get away with just like me.  I have had friends who got married to women that had the same compulsive spending habits as them and these women didn't care one bit what the man spent, so long as they could also buy what they wanted.  Well a few years later in most cases it was Bankruptcy and divorce in  some only divorce when the woman realized the money and fun was running out.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »

I usually make sure that it says,"ICOM" on it & for sure at all cost that it does not say,"YAESU" on it.The last couple of Yaesu rigs have been nothing but garbage.Kenwoods have been just fine as have a couple of Alinco dual band rigs. {:>)  }:>)   Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »

My wife bought me my TS690 and FT100D but when I buy a radio anymore I look for under 100 dollars and working but that's only cuz I'm a tightwad and she always challenges me on it.  Now I heard of one ham who whenever he brought a new radio home he walked in backwards just in case his wife caught him he would tell her he was just on his way out of the house to get rid of this old radio.
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »

What it is going to be used for what other equipment will work with it does it have any type of timers in it how quite is the receive how big are the tuning knobs, how hot does it stay when in service for many hours how loud is the cooling fan or fans what color is the radio and the displays and can they be dimmed! AND mostly how the RECEIVE sounds!............KB6HRT
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:01 AM »

I think it all depends on how you are using it. If it's going to sit in the shack 99% of the time, I want all my most frequently used controls on a button or knob of some sort. I don't want to have to go into a menu to adjust my cw speed or my power level, etc. I've seen and used a regular hf sized rigs that you need to adjust frequently used functions in a menu and that is nothing short of annoying. If its something I am taking portable / battery powered I look at current drain / battery life. It needs to take alkalines.. you can buy those anywhere. Of course specs, etc are important too.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »

My wife bought me an FTdx-5000 for Christmas last year and a tower for my birthday before that.

She doesn't care what radio stuff I buy since we both have separate hobby budgets.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »

My wife bought me an FTdx-5000 for Christmas last year and a tower for my birthday before that.

Dang, Jerry I need a wife like that. I got socks and underwear for Christmas....

Stan K9IUQ
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »

Dang, Jerry I need a wife like that. I got socks and underwear for Christmas....

Stan K9IUQ
[/quote]

I got a NEW ICOM 2820H for my Birthday 2 weeks ago thanks to my wife who is the same woman in 2003 that told me I needed to my that NEW ICOM 756 PROII & of course I did & FYI she is NOT a Ham just a KEEPER. {:>)   Grin   Cheesy

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: