Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you currently use a straight key?  (Read 55290 times)
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

Don't really understand why any active CW operator would use a straight key, except possibly on SKN for nostalgia purposes.

I use a Brown Brothers ST-A.  I tried many before I settled on this gem.  It is beautiful and one great key.

The Nye Viking Master Key was the one it replaced. I almost never use a keyer and am thus quite poor at it.  With a decent straight key, I can send at least 25wpm comfortably.   

I also use a manual can opener (the newer ergonomic type) and drive a car (2010 model) with a manual transmission and hand crank windows.  Sure it is more work, but the body needn't atrophy -- i for one am not in favor of evolving into a brain and a finger tip.

I do sometimes get a tired fist now that I am getting older, maybe I will learn to use that pretty Brown Bros BTL keyer
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »

Quote from: AC9FM

...Many years ago my uncle had one and would send code while driving...

I did this a few times, but found I couldn't go over about 50MPH on the freeway
while on keying or copying code in my head.  Seemed I could work the key or the
gas pedal, but not both at once.  I'd need a lot more practice before I felt comfortable
doing it.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOqbjbzC9V8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59a-yLIJLyQ

Enjoy!
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »

I currently have one of the Chinese military keys.  It looks good, it's heavy and has plenty of adjustment for me.  So far it fits me fine.  Having used a straight key 40+ years ago and not being a fast op, a straight key today makes sense to me for now. 

What happens later on I don't know!  The nearly $600 Japanese straight key would be something I would love to experience.

http://www.mtechnologies.com/ghd/index.htm#keys

The one I refer to is the GT501MIL. 

Rick   
9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:26 AM »

Rick,

I have that GHD GT501MIL key. I use it sometimes. The price is for the appearance and craftsmanship,  and any straight key is the same as another, excluding minor factors such as armature length. Adjustments on all straight keys are essentially the same. Tension and gap, those two only.

I like the key and it gives me a buzz to use (normally I'm a bug key op), but my cheap straight keys do the same thing.

John
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:28 AM »

A "leg key"... wow that brings back memories. Many years ago my uncle had one and would send code while driving. That always amazed me.

One of my early years in the hobby, I had a great CW chat with a guy driving a gasoline tanker...  Be afraid, be very afraid!

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: