Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting on 17 Meters  (Read 13327 times)
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »

Some poor soul probably thought he was on 20 meters!

You know what,

That IS possible with the number of CLUELESS with
an amateur radio license out there !

The educated are being overtaken by those that dont know
what they are doing. Seems like a global plague,
NOT just in the USA.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »

There's been several other threads like this in other forums, where someone complains about "contesting" on 17 meters.

The people complaining are not all clueless newbs, either. At least some, including the OP of this thread, have been around long enough at least on and off to know the difference between a contest and a DX pileup.

I have never heard anything like a contest on 17 meters. But with the multiple complaints just in the past few months. it makes me wonder if there really is someone running something that sounds like a contest on 17 meters? Maybe not a big enough one for everyone to notice, maybe a sprint of some sort,  but something going on that sounds like a contest.

The main problem when people post these complaints about alleged 17 meter contesting is that there's never any details.

Dates? Times? Modes? Frequencies?  Exchange used? Callsigns? Any kind of verifiable information.

Otherwise it's hard to take these seriously.

I wonder if it's possible that somebody has dual watch or a second/sub RX on across bands?  They think they're listening on 17m but actually hearing the audio stream on a different band?  I don't doubt that they seem to be hearing something, but I (and many others) have never heard as much as a contest peep on the warc bands.
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »

What is going on with a contest on 17 meters.  In the past it was the only place I could go when a contest was going on.  I hate contesting, but before I figured that as long as there was a place to run to that it was ok.  Now I am just plain pissed.

There is no contesting on 17m.  Roll Eyes

What you probably heard was a DX pile-up.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: