Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...I don't get this ???  (Read 12362 times)
K0XY

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »

...I worked a bit of the IARU contest (CW) this past weekend, and it is a "fun" contest...I also worked a smattering of DX during the contest (FTdx1200/ALS600/LDG S31V Vertical) ... and, this was soooo typical, I would hear, and work maybe ONE JA (CW) and that would be the only JA on the band at that time...same for a VK, ZL and an R...at the time I worked them they were "lone rangers" from their respective countries... ...with the JA ham population being so high why was the band (15m) not full of many JA's...what's the deal here Huh? Ron K0XY  Undecided Undecided Undecided 
KC9V0

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:44 AM »

Hi! Typical question. You assume the JA's aren't there because YOU can't hear them. It is most likely that at your location their signals are bouncing over you and others can hear them. Remember the Earth is a sphere and the angle of take-off for other stations signals are unique as they bounce off the F1 or F2 layers. Other factors like the height of the ionization layers that signals bounce off (instead of going out into space) change as the Earth rotates with respect to the sun. (Look up GREYLINE).

Yep, it can get complicated but keep trying. That's the fun of it all.

Chuck KC9VO

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

Use Google to find everything you can read on propagation.  It is rather complicated at times but there are patterns for band openings vs. time of day, summer/winter, frequencies, MUF, etc.

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »

This contest differs from the other major contests in that you are hunting for the HQ stations--they count as multipliers--which are rather hard to get compared to the country/prefix/state/province multipliers used in other contests. I'd expect most of the JAs to be hunting for stations like W1AW instead of calling CQ.  Similarly, I was hunting for ET3AA rather than calling CQ during the short time I was on...

Zack W1VT
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

...thanx for the responses and "interesting"  Smiley
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »

As it says in Low Band DXing, if you can hear them they can probably hear you.  You may have been receiving the JA station through a duct.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »

I have found this website helpful; http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=7&ML=M&Map=W2L&DXC=N&HF=S&GL=N
good luck and enjoy the adventure,
Bob
K0XY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

...wow ! I like this DX Maps site...it clearly shows in real time what paths are open and being worked in my area...spiffy !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: