Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: replacement parasitic suppressors for clipperton l  (Read 4169 times)
KB9LQA

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »

Hello amp experts, I have a clipperton l that needs new parasitic suppressors. My question is, are there any " kits" available for that amp? Do most people get new resistors and wire and make there own? If so what type of wire? I could copy the old ones. Any opinions, or options you may want to share. And yes I am carefull  around high voltage,   Shocked  thanks,  Chris......
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

Hello amp experts, I have a clipperton l that needs new parasitic suppressors. My question is, are there any " kits" available for that amp? Do most people get new resistors and wire and make there own? If so what type of wire? I could copy the old ones. Any opinions, or options you may want to share. And yes I am carefull  around high voltage,   Shocked  thanks,  Chris......

Ameritron sells the supressor board from their al 572 amp.  I have seen guys using it in the l.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

LQA:  Why not just replicate a set of parasitic suppressors?  Use Metal Oxide Film or Ceramic Composition resistors..... 2 or 3W. 

Duplicate the number of turns on the existing suppressors.  Any kind of copper wire will work.....like the ground lead out of 12-2 w/ground house wiring.  (The ground lead is usually smaller in diameter than the load carrying black and white wires.)

It seems kind of silly to buy a roll of tinned wire that the original suppressors are wound with and use 6 or 8 inches of it!
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:02 AM »

http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=50-0572-1

Better design than the Clipperton L suppressors.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:32:12 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »

IMO buying parasitic suppressors is kinda like buying a 1/2 wave dipole.  Do as others have suggested wind your own for less than a dollar each and save some $$$. 

If you must buy them, look at the Harbach website.  They offer new parasitic suppressors for Heathkit and Collins amps. These will work just fine in your application.  Even though I have never looked inside a Clipperton amp, there should be nothing special about the parasitic suppressors.

Dick  AD4U
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:47 AM »

IMO buying parasitic suppressors is kinda like buying a 1/2 wave dipole.  Do as others have suggested wind your own for less than a dollar each and save some $$$. 

If you must buy them, look at the Harbach website.  They offer new parasitic suppressors for Heathkit and Collins amps. These will work just fine in your application.  Even though I have never looked inside a Clipperton amp, there should be nothing special about the parasitic suppressors.

Dick  AD4U

Dick, far as I know Harbach has not offered ANY suppression kits for a long time now so I don't know where you got that info from.  Now as far as the Ameritron board.  I think that might be a good idea to buy that board for the Clipperton.  It is not like buying a dipole.  There is a bit of engineering behind that board and I give it some credit. 
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »

W1QJ - You are correct.  I just checked Harbach and their parasitic suppressors are "out of stock".  I had not looked at that site in a while. 

I still think he could easily match the parasitic suppressors in the amp or just wind 3 turns of #10 wire about 1/2 inch in diameter shunted by a 47 ohm 2 watt non-inductive resistor (or 2 each 100 ohm 2 watt resistors) would work and should cost less than a dollar or so for all four.

The Ameritron suppressor looks impressive, but since the Clipperton uses 4 tubes, he would need a pair of the Ameritrons.

Any way this is not rocket science.  Just get the amp going!   Grin

Dick  AD4U
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »

W1QJ - You are correct.  I just checked Harbach and their parasitic suppressors are "out of stock".  I had not looked at that site in a while. 

I still think he could easily match the parasitic suppressors in the amp or just wind 3 turns of #10 wire about 1/2 inch in diameter shunted by a 47 ohm 2 watt non-inductive resistor (or 2 each 100 ohm 2 watt resistors) would work and should cost less than a dollar or so for all four.

The Ameritron suppressor looks impressive, but since the Clipperton uses 4 tubes, he would need a pair of the Ameritrons.

Any way this is not rocket science.  Just get the amp going!   Grin

Dick  AD4U

What???  The Ameritron amp has 4 tubes just like the Clipperton!  The Ameritron suppressor board is for 4 tubes.
KB9LQA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

Thank you for the comments and idea's. And thanks for the link to the Ameritron site.
I will try my hand at making replacements, and if they give me trouble, I'll get the Ameritron assembly! Chris.......... Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: