Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KENWOOD TS-281 MOD SCREWUP  (Read 10587 times)
KE5KZE

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »

i have a kenwood TM-281A sorry for the ts in the headline,  144mhz radio, we tried to do the mars mod on it for a guy and ended up taking all 4 resistors off of the tx board instead of just the 1, on acadent, when we turn the radio on now. it is on 440mhz, it will only rx, none of the bottons on the from panel work just the one to change the freq, and we lost all the little serface mount resistors that were on it. what can I put back in its place to get it back down to 144mhz?  please do not reply to this is your going to be a smart ass, were low on funds and cannot afford to send it back to kenwood to get repaired there,   also if I do send it back , does anyone know if we can keep it to rx on 440 still  after its fixed?  Thanks  Sterling(ke5kze)
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:08 AM »

If you're lucky you may be able to get away with just bridging the pads the resistors were on with wire then performing a full reset. The resistors are zero ohm so effectively just a link.

Failing that you're going to have to pay someone to fix it properly. And no you can't keep 440MHz. One of the links you removed was one telling the radio if it was a TM-281 VHF or a TM-481 UHF.

I have absolutely no idea how you take four resistors off by accident. What the hell were you using to desolder them, a blow lamp?

Keep the hell away from other people's radios because you quite frankly don't have a clue. Personally if it had been me I would have done everything I had to put this guys radio right but I guess I have morals you don't.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:04:06 AM by M6GOM » Logged
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:05 AM »

i have a kenwood TM-281A sorry for the ts in the headline,  144mhz radio, we tried to do the mars mod on it for a guy and ended up taking all 4 resistors off of the tx board instead of just the 1, on acadent, when we turn the radio on now. it is on 440mhz, it will only rx, none of the bottons on the from panel work just the one to change the freq, and we lost all the little serface mount resistors that were on it. what can I put back in its place to get it back down to 144mhz?  please do not reply to this is your going to be a smart ass, were low on funds and cannot afford to send it back to kenwood to get repaired there,   also if I do send it back , does anyone know if we can keep it to rx on 440 still  after its fixed?  Thanks  Sterling(ke5kze)

Sterling, my suggestion is to check and see what the value of those resistors are....replace them and perform a full processor reset and with luck the radio will come back up fully operation and a lesson was learned.

There are multiple locations in San Antonio to pickup resistors of the proper size and rating. In the future a good way to keep track of parts is to put down some masking or duct tape folded over double sided...pull the part and stick it to the tape...this holds it in place and keeps it from rolling off or getting lost.....until you determine you do not need it.

I will not lecture about taking a radio apart when you do not fully know what you are doing, I think you figured that lesson out {the hard way unfortunately, but you are not the first and will not be the last {grin}}.

Do you have the schematic for this unit? So you can determine what you pulled out?

K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »

And the obvious question..  why  do the  ''mars mod''..
Its illegal to use the radio  outside the ham bands,  unless it really  was for mars,,
in which case  MARS  would have  provided  proper instructions.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Doing the 'MARS mod' isn't only for opening up the radio to transmit, it's more often done to open it up to receive out of the ham bands.  In those cases, the mods are done to pick up either local public safety frequencies or weather frequencies. 

It isn't illegal to do the mod if you're not MARS affiliated, it just illegal if you intend to transmit out of the ham bands and you're not MARS affiliated.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

If the  TM 281 is like all the previous,  TM-xx1 radios... I have  several 241s and 261s.

they already receive  on  118 to  176 mhz or so..  there is no  logical reason to screwup a radio
for 'no  practical reason'''

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:01 AM »

True, but some radios (Maybe few and far between now, but common in radios made years ago) won't receive outside the ham bands unless a mod is done to them to 'open up' the receiver.

I repeat, it isn't illegal to do the mod to 'open up' the radio.  I agree that it's rather useless just to do it for the sake of doing it.  

The thing that is illegal is to actually transmit on frequencies outside the ham bands.  If you 'open up' a radio to do that, then you're going too far.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

A stock TM-281 will receive 136-174 MHz right out of the box, no mod needed.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »

And the original poster has not come back with  new  info or  any notcie of progress
made  so far....

APW19562

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »

And the original poster has not come back with  new  info or  any notcie of progress
made  so far....

Geez... I can't understand why, after the warm welcome he received here.  Roll Eyes
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

made  so far....

Geez... I can't understand why, after the warm welcome he received here.  Roll Eyes
   Hopefully he is busy learning to use some manners and spell check.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »

made  so far....

Some folks here can be brutal.  In the last year or so I have found myself answering new hams questions with the "Well didn't you study that for the exam" question.  Sometimes the "I will be tolerant" switch just doesn't get flipped on in the morning.

I don't know how many times people describe all sorts of mounts and such to keep from drilling a hole in their roof for a 19" VHF antenna, yet they continue to use mag mounts...

/off my soapbox.

Mike
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:04:49 AM »

...I don't know how many times people describe all sorts of mounts and such to keep from drilling a hole in their roof for a 19" VHF antenna, yet they continue to use mag mounts...

Simply because the current generation hasn't learned how to take care of themselves and not have someone else make their decisions for them.  It's what has been said lately, and is becoming more true every day:  Common sense is dead.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »

What is it with hams and the internet?  I've spent time on many internet forums relating to topics as diverse as cars, trains, railfanning, photography and SCUBA diving.  Nowhere else have I encountered the back biting, insulting, and nasty comments as I have on forums dedicated to amateur radio.  One forum even has a section devoted entirely to criticizing another well-know forum.  Is this a product of the aging ham population that the forums are populated by a bunch of grouchy old curmudgeons with nothing nice to say?  I'm glad the forums are not a valid representation of amateur radio in general and I'm glad I didn't start reading them until after I got my license.  I might not have become a ham if I had...
APW19562

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:24 AM »

What is it with hams and the internet?  I've spent time on many internet forums relating to topics as diverse as cars, trains, railfanning, photography and SCUBA diving.  Nowhere else have I encountered the back biting, insulting, and nasty comments as I have on forums dedicated to amateur radio.  One forum even has a section devoted entirely to criticizing another well-know forum.  Is this a product of the aging ham population that the forums are populated by a bunch of grouchy old curmudgeons with nothing nice to say?  I'm glad the forums are not a valid representation of amateur radio in general and I'm glad I didn't start reading them until after I got my license.  I might not have become a ham if I had...

I think those grouchy old basement dwellers are just venting frustrations they cannot get away with on the radio.  Grin

I too am surprised at all the arrogance and attitude I see on this site. I just shrug it off and laugh... knowing that all those old crabby grumps will be 6ft under and pushing up daisy's alot sooner than I will.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: