Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sequential call sign questions  (Read 9369 times)
AF5MS

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:41:27 PM »

I passed the General and Extra on 9/24, but did not request a call sign change at the time.

Now, i've decided that I would like a change. I started and saved a file on the ULS site while waiting for the upgrade to post.

Vanity calls did not interest me because I dislike my initials and did not want to compile a list of alternate choices.

I'm fine with an assigned call, but am curious if I will be offered any choices at all on the initial letter(s).

K,N, or W, and two letter suffix
two letter prefix with first letter A,N,K or W (one letter suffix)
two letter prefix with first letter A (two letter suffix)

Will I be able choose from the above?

Are there any of these choices that may be unavailable?

I should be able to complete the change request within a day of the upgrade posting.

Mike
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »

If you request a sequential callsign, you have no choices. FCC will assign the next available call in the block they are using for your license class.

Although Generals and Techs are eligible for Group C calls, all sequentially-available Group C calls have already been issued. So Generals and Techs get Group D calls, like the K 2x3 you have.

Extras are eligible for Group A calls, but the only Group A calls being assigned sequentially are the A 2x2s. It looks like the 5th district is in the middle of AF5 calls--AF5MJ and AF5MK have just been issued. You would get the next one in that sequence as of the time your application was processed.
AF5MS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »

Just as soon as my license is upgraded in the ULS database, I'll complete the request.

An A 2x2 will be fine.

Just was curious why the FCC site still appears to show options.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_1&id=amateur

Group A - Amateur Extra Class
Primary stations licensed to Amateur Extra class operators.
Region      Prefix                        Letters in Suffix
1-10      K, N, or W, and two letter suffix;            2
      two letter prefix with first letter A, N, K, or W      1
      two letter prefix with first letter A            2

Mike
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

Those aren't options, just an explanation of the call sign system.  As the text above the table states, "When the call signs in any regional-group list are exhausted, the selection is made from the next lower group."
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

Those aren't options, just an explanation of the call sign system.  As the text above the table states, "When the call signs in any regional-group list are exhausted, the selection is made from the next lower group."

And to expand a bit on that, when the FCC implemented the current callsign system in the late 1970s, they structured it in a way that the only calls that would be issued sequentially were callsign blocks that had never before been issued, to ensure that there wouldn't be reissues. (This was explicitly announced way back then.) That eliminated the 1x2 calls in Group A, for example; so they issued 2x1 calls until they were gone and then moved to A 2x2s. None of the Group B call blocks had been used before, so all were available. In Group C, W and K 1x3s were issued long ago, so only the N 1x3s were issued (sequentially). And in Group D, W 2x3s had been issued so only K 2x3s were issued. (The "available" blocks for each Group used to be denoted with asterisks, but I guess those are gone now.)

What you call "options" are (as KG6AF points out) just an explanation of the group structure. This is important to state because the vanity callsign page refers to this table to discuss which classes of license are eligible for which callsign groups. And though FCC won't issue previously-issued blocks sequentially, they will issue vacant callsigns under the vanity program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: