Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All tube transceiver - what good ones are available for worst case scenario?  (Read 21709 times)
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »

However, if your basic assumption is that all solid state devices are toasted, the Drake rigs
and many of the Heathkits may have solid state diodes in the balanced mixers, RIT controls,
and power supplies. Then, of course, you also have to consider the solid state diodes in
automobile alternators if you plan to use a vehicle to keep your batteries charged.

To eliminate the solid state devices totally you might want to consider something like an
ARC-5 transmitter and receiver set, designed to operate from 28VDC using a dynamotor.
If you don't have a convenient power source for that, you can probably rewind the
dynamotor to run off of 6VDC so you can run it directly from a Studebaker or DeSoto.

That limits you to CW unless you build a plug-in modulator, but the sets are very rugged.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »

Besides... who are you going to talk to?  Grin
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:22 AM »

The Gummint just turned off HAARP so that may reduce the chance of the X-Ray gods to shoot something in the troposphere. A direct hit from a CME would set the most of the world back 100 years in time and technology. I say most of the world cuz it depends on what side of Earth is facing the Sun when the CME hits. Some scientists think that a direct hit is very small.
Whatever calamity takes place, will be silent and the problem is within the USA.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 06:46:10 AM »

The human race thrived for thousands of years without benefit of electric power...
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »

The human race thrived for thousands of years without benefit of electric power...
I'm not sure I want to live in a cave and rub sticks together to start a fire.  Shocked
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

Boys and girls, RXN has asked a legitimate question; a question that deserves serious consideration. 

We can all play "What if and I wouldn't" but..... to play we also have to ask, "What if he's right?"  What if there are others to talk to?  What if there are survivors?  And the list goes on.

What's going to happen is those who didn't play the game are going to expect those that did, to share.  Chances are that isn't going to happen.

An interesting game to play is what I call a "Thought Problem."  That's a question that either has no answer or one that I don't know the answer to.  This can lead to a great deal of deep thinking and quite often is very interesting.

Let's go back to RXN's question and help him find what might be a suitable answer.  Consider this a "thought problem."
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

Maybe its a reading problem, I already answered that question quite few posts back. 

Drake Twins.

Some others said Heathkit. 

Then some pointed out that even those may have some silicon junction stuff in them, diodes anyway. 

K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

If an EMP comes along, the biggest problem will be power.  Assume the power grid is down.  Most portable generators, etc have their electronics blown up.  Only batteries work, probably.  Maybe solar.  So power hungry tube type equipment, even if functional, wouldn't be useable for long, if at all.   My suggestion to someone really concerned is to put a small radio, such as a 706, inside a closed metal box or cabinet (to shield from EMP).  Then after everything is fried, get it out, hook up to a battery, and try to talk to someone, anyone, maybe. 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 06:45:43 AM »

Seems to be an assumption that EMP is equally devastating on solid state junctions that are not powered or otherwise attached to things like power lines or antennas at the time of the dreaded EMP event. 

That may not be the case. 

AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »

Boys and girls, RXN has asked a legitimate question; a question that deserves serious consideration. 

We can all play "What if and I wouldn't" but..... to play we also have to ask, "What if he's right?"  What if there are others to talk to?  What if there are survivors?  And the list goes on.

What's going to happen is those who didn't play the game are going to expect those that did, to share.  Chances are that isn't going to happen.

An interesting game to play is what I call a "Thought Problem."  That's a question that either has no answer or one that I don't know the answer to.  This can lead to a great deal of deep thinking and quite often is very interesting.

Let's go back to RXN's question and help him find what might be a suitable answer.  Consider this a "thought problem."

All of my solid state radios are full protected.  Each night I place a tin foil hat on top of them. Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 08:32:18 AM »

My worst case rig: Crystal receiver(razor blade/pencil lead model) already on hand. Spark gap xmtr., looking for qrp  plans for same now. Power: small water wheel/generator down on the brook (no problem).T/R switch: porcelain based knife switch(also on hand). This should take care of my EMP/power concerns without need for Faraday screening protection, but will keep tin foil to line my baseball cap. Also have 50 ft. coil of wire with alligator clip made up, this will be my feed line to defunct power lines that I figure will make excellent antennas.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »

Until they restore power without telling you....
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Kite string (beeswaxed), 2 buttons and 2 tin cans will work fine between bunkers. As will semaphore flags from hilltops. Keep your powder dry.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »

This thread reads like a science fiction story where nuclear warfare wipes out just about
everything and everybody and a few folks manage to struggle to survive and things are so
bleak they wonder who the lucky people are:  Those who survive or those done in by the
blast.       (If you find your perfect transceiver, how are you going to power it?)

Allen KA5zN
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

Allen: You and others have asked or pointed out the same basic question/problems.  And I agree.....but.... if a guy wants to play the odds, who am I or anyone else to make fun of him or criticize him?

Let him discover and solve any problems as he thinks of them.  In the meantime, as I pointed out before, let's answer his questions as well as we can based on our knowledge.

Al
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: