Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My radios cant talk to eachother on a repeater. please help!  (Read 52581 times)
KK6ELP

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:22 AM »

OK so i have two Yaesu FT-60R handhelds, and i want my sister to get a radio license so we can talk, but my second Yaesu wont receive when i transmit on a repeater with my handheld, but i can talk to other people with handheld on that repeater, but not my other other radio.

Please, please, please help i have no idea why they wont receive each other!
(i just got my license like 2 months ago and i don't have much of an idea of what im doing so if there is an obvious reason that im missing that's why)

Reply's appreciated
~Simon, KK6ELP
W4CKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:07:38 AM »

My first guess would be that PL or DCS decode is enabled - If you have a manual, try to turn these off and check simplex between the two radios.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:09:41 AM »

How far apart are the two radios? If they are close (same room) then the one transmitting is probably desensing the other receiver and preventing it from hearing the repeater. The repeater signal is much weaker than the other HT in the same room. This is a common issue.
KK6ELP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »

How far apart are the two radios? If they are close (same room) then the one transmitting is probably desensing the other receiver and preventing it from hearing the repeater. The repeater signal is much weaker than the other HT in the same room. This is a common issue.

Yes they are, but i have tried them about 500 Ft apart on my local repeater and have someone listening on the other radio but they never receive each other
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 05:53:02 AM »

So, both of your HTs can talk to other stations through the repeater but they cannot talk to each other through the repeater???
KK6ELP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »

So, both of your HTs can talk to other stations through the repeater but they cannot talk to each other through the repeater???

Yes that is correct
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »

There's got to be something else going on. If each of the HTs can work other stations via the repeater there is no setting that I can think of that would only prevent them from talking to each other via the same repeater. The only thing (which is pretty common) is front-end overload on the receivers but I would not expect that to occur with a separation of 500 feet.

I'd try multiple times at 500 feet (or more) just to make sure that one of the HTs was not failing to hit the repeater during one test. Even better, get another ham to use one of your HTs so you can try it both ways and have someone familiar with radio operation at both ends.
KA4GFY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

From what I am reading, I would say the transmitting radio is overloading the receiving radio's front end.  You might try setting the two of them on simplex and see if that works.

73, KA4GFY
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »

You are too close.  Remember, the repeater memories are transmitting on a different frequency than they are receiving.  You are overloading the front end of the other radio.

Get away from each other or go to simplex.

Brad
N7KFD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:21 AM »

Simon - I'm going to agree with what W4CKR said. Take your time and slowly go through both radios to make sure all your settings are correct for that repeater. Check PL tones, if after checking everything is still doesn't work try using a simplex frequency between the two radios like 146.520 just to make sure there isn't something actually wrong with either of them. I hope I'm not telling you things you've tried already but sometimes you might overlook something because you're SURE you set it up right.

Jim
N7KFD
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 04:56:19 AM »

Since each radio independly is able to talk with other stations on the repeater, all settings like offset, PL tones, etc have to be correct on each of the radios. The ONLY possibility is that when trying to talk to each other through the repeater one receiver is being blocked (overloaded) by the the other transmitter which is transmitting on the offset frequency. When you release the PTT on the transmitting radio you should hear the beep tone and repeater squelch tail on the other.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »

Any update on solving the problem?  when checking several of my radios, I put them in low power mode, i.e, 1/2 watt than both radios can be in the same room with out overloading them. As stated before, set both to the same simple freq and verify that you have communication between them.
KK6ELP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »

Any update on solving the problem?  when checking several of my radios, I put them in low power mode, i.e, 1/2 watt than both radios can be in the same room with out overloading them. As stated before, set both to the same simple freq and verify that you have communication between them.
No they still wont talk on a repeater (so far) but on a non-repeater frequency (145.555) i turned the power down on mine and they could talk so i still need to test it on a repeater, which i will do soon cause i know someone who is a ham and ill ask him to help. but hopefully turning the power down fixed it.
Thank you all for helping!

~Simon, KK6ELP
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

Try 'listening on the input' with one of the radios ( press the HM/RV key ) as someone talks on the other.
If that works try taking each way with one in reverse offset mode and the other normal .
When you press the PTT key you should see the displayed frequency shift.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »

Yes they are, but i have tried them about 500 Ft apart on my local repeater and have someone listening on the other radio but they never receive each other

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but it is necessary for you to be able to talk through the repeater using one of them to talk and the other for receive? If you can use each of them separately successfully and you get good signal reports, that's all that matters. If you have to talk from one to the other, you can just switch to simplex.

I still think 500ft is to close for a real test. Give one HT to a friend and have them go across town or something - at least a mile or so away from you, and see how that works. It COULD be overload on the receiver, but I've accidentally talked on my base station (with antenna in the same room I'm in) while I had my HT on, and although there was plenty of feedback squealing from the speaker, the HT could definitely pick up the base station through the repeater.

At any rate, I hope you get everything solved. Weird problems sometimes come up with amateur radio, but solving them is part of the fun. Take care.

Dave
KX8N

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: