The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The SWLing Post has review of Icom IC-7300 Transceiver  (Read 820 times)
WA2ONH

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »

A review of the Icom IC-7300 direct RF sampling transceiver
Posted on May 15, 2016 by Thomas (aka K4SWL) at ...

http://swling.com/blog/2016/05/a-review-of-the-icom-ic-7300-direct-rf-sampling-transceiver/

Also, links to Icom for download of "Basic Manual" (16,680 kb PDF file) and "Full Manual" (23,865 kb PDF file) plus short YouTube video showing off features.

Finally, receiver performance tests and reader blind survey results comparing IC-7300 vs WinRadio Excalibur and IC-7300 vs Elecraft KX3.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:12:31 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH   ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no shame in not knowing; The shame lies in not finding out"
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »

That's an interesting review from another perspective. I noticed the reviewer did not mention the loud relay chatter during QSK in his Cons list . One YouTube video said the relay is only used to key an amp. The actual RF switching relays are located elsewhere and do not cause chatter. It would be nice if Icom could install a switch or a software command that would allow the relay to be turned off. Some of the older TenTec rigs had that option. My IC-7410 has no chatter at all while in QSK mode. Anyway, thanks for the heads up regarding the review.
 Max  Now KE8ADH
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:18:34 AM by WD8DKB » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:05:37 PM »

Thanks Op. 
There are several other YouTube videos that compare the 7300 vs KX3 and other K flavors.
The results are always the same.  Icom has a real winner on their hand with the 7300.
Elecraft had better step up their game and their current prices are certainly going to have to drop if they want to survive.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W5SRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:19 PM »

I can't say enough good about the IC-7300 receiver.  After 5 weeks now, I like it better and better every day.  The display is so helpful in finding, tuning, and filtering incoming signals.  Speaking of filters, the 7300 "IF" filters are amazingly square-walled.  Better than the 1.8kHz roofing filter in my TS-480.  The 7300 noise filter works great.  And, the auto-notch filter wastes no time, and really suppresses a tone.  Even big tuner-uppers in-band get squelched PDQ.  Amazing.

73, Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: