Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendation help  (Read 16916 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »

Hi Stan   from your experience  is their any  real noticeable   difference in the Receiver  of the Kenwood Ts 590s compared to the  Icom 7100?  

Looking forward to your reply.  Ke7iej

Since you have asked "what rig is the best" in several different threads I will give my answer here. Yes, there is a noticeable difference. The Icom has better DSP implementation over the Ts-590s. You notice it immediately with the NR (noise reduction). The Icom is very quiet compared to the Kenwood with no noticeable artifacts with the NR on. Also the Icom has many features the Kenwood does not, like Twin peak filters on (FSK) RTTY.  

OTOH the Kenwood does better with high QRM situations like Contesting. If you contest, pick the Kenwood. If you are going to be a do everything, average everyday ham the Icom is fine.

Another consideration is the TS-590s has a built in ATU, while the 7100 does not. I use a MFJ 993B Automatic Intellituner with my 7100. This is an extra cost, however the MFJ tuner is much more versatile and will tune just about anything while the internal TS- 590 tuner will tune coax fed antennas under 3:1 swr only.

Since you are a Newbie Ham I would go with the Icom 7100 as it has more bang for the $$ even with the depressed TS-590s prices. It is a good radio to start with, easy to learn and use. And it does all band, all mode. Dstar is just a plus. More important the Icom is a competent radio for new hams. It is a much better choice than a Icom 718, Yaesu 450/1200/897D or TS-480/2000.

If you do pick the 7100 make sure you are going to like the touch screen. Some love it, some hate it.
If you buy a used Ts-590s make sure it has had the Free Kenwood hardware Mod/update or is a 2014 model.

IMO If I could only afford or only have one radio in the $1200 range it would be the 7100.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:58:42 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »

With most all of them you get a color display other than the New ICOM 7100 which went a step backwards with it's out of date Monochrome display.I'm an ICOM fan but hate those displays & if it had a color display like the iCOM 7000 I'd take it hands down over any that you have listed.Also no such thing as a YEASU anything! LOL   Cheesy   Wink   Grin Grin

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: