Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is the icom 718 a good choice for a new ham ?  (Read 4990 times)
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 01:49:53 AM »

Hi

I didn't use a RCI on 10 mtrs but used a Uniden (President Lincoln), untill I had a HF rig.
Tested the Uniden against a FT920.

On RX SSB no difference at all.
TX audio of the Uniden was very good in SSB got lots of compliments, was as good as with the FT920.
Only one diference, the Uniden was on PLL with 100 Hz steps the FT920 was on 1Hz steps.

Also the Uniden needed to warm up for half an hour to become stable on frequency.
But I was realy surprized the quality of the RX of the little Uniden in SSB.

I used a 5 elements monoband beam on both the uniden and the FT920 on 10 mtrs.

Had lots of fun with the Uniden in 1990-1999 on CB and lots of fun in 2000 on 10 mtrs , still have it and every now and then I use it on 10 mtrs SSB.
As this uniden (president lincoln) belonged to my father i do not want to part with it.

In CW the Uniden did not have a CW filter, so not very good there.

I used to have a 1979 President Grant 40 channel AM/SSB and that had a nice X-tal filter on SSB, that was not worse as any filter used in hamradio's at all back in 1980.

73 Jos

KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »

there is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom, every rig from that point will be an upgrade.
Upgrading rigs are just things that happen in the radio hobby , buy a rig , sell a rig. You may never be content.

If you buy a rig , you would be better off with a $100.00 rig  than a $400 ic718, you will get near the same result form the $100 rig and still have 300 saved towards the one you really want and can always get $100 for the one you have. Boat anchors are out there.

Sorry , i had one i took on trade and it was the hardest rig to sell. performance was ok but the front end was as overloaded as a garbage truck on the day after Christmas.
Does it work , yep, not any better than a ft101ee thats from the 60's. ic718 needs a power supply , the 101 just plugs into the wall , worn out tubes make more power.            L C network does away with tuner need if antenna is close.

Food for thought, i loved my 101ee, still feel foolish for selling it 15 years ago.

Greg kc8iir
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »

My first HF rig was a Icom 730 bought used in 1993. A good starter rig at the time, but it didn't have 160 meters, it only received the ham bands 80 through 10. It has issues with the preamp not working, which is a common problem. If you can pick up a working one up today for next to nothing I would say go for it. Just realize it is over 30 years old.

Otherwise for a few hundred more you can do better. In contrast, the IC-718 is a much better rig in that it covers 160 meters and it receives 30-29.9 MHz. It has a port in the back that you can hook up a Signalink USB for digital communications. It is a good rig for the money.

Here is the ARRL review. 
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/718/IC718_QSTReview.pdf

If you can spend more than go for something better.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
BOOTYMONSTER

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »

thanks again  folks Wink
the Yaesu FT450D is very very interesting .
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »

The Icom IC-718 is an excellent beginners (and experienced casual ham's) rig.

Very straight-forward in use, very little buried in menus, bulletproof, just plain works and works.

Someone mentioned a TXCO but no-one needs a TXCO for home use; modern rigs like the IC-718 are plenty stable enough without spending all that on what is essentially a farkle.

Another mentioned the Alinco SR8T, I tried one as I was tempted by the "free filters". Well, the (fixed-width audio) filters are pathetic, especially for CW and you can't buy optional filters for that rig even if you wanted to (which you will). I took mine back to the store for a refund the next day.

You can get by quite well with the IC-718 using the IF-Shift and/or CW-R mode to side-step QRM; most also have the audio DSP noise reduction and auto-notch module installed too. Option filters are available (yes, they're expensive but very effective) or you can use an inexpensive outboard audio filter or SCAF type filter (NEScaf, SCAF-1, etc.)

The IC-7200 and FT-450D are supposedly "better" (I don't know), but they're also more complicated and more expensive and less likely to be available on the used market.

You can't go wrong with a new or used IC-718 in my opinion. The Alinco SR8T is fine for SSB, but it's not a CW rig and can't be, due to the filtering (or lack thereof).
K2MMO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:28 AM »

I have one in the shack and have had it since 2006 -A great basic rig I love it  I use it for CW and occassional SSB.Built well and easy to use.A good antenna makes it perform even better.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: