Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ad Targeting  (Read 12555 times)
WA2ASB

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

On the left side of the page, I saw some strange looking equipment.  I clicked on one and got an ad from B&H.  It had nothing to do with Ham Radio, and I don't have a problem with that.

I've dealt with B&H before: My Nikon D700, my wife's D800, my Leica, lenses, etc.  I've screwed up an order, returned merchandise with no questions asked, and found them to be a wonderful company to do business with.  (I even forgive them for being closed on Saturday). Grin

What I'm wondering is why I saw the B&H ad?  Does everyone see them or is there something on the web-page that is looking for cookies on my computer, and finding them then targeting me with ads.  Understand this is not a complaint, but having a curious nature, I'm just wondering what is going on.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:24 AM »

Briefly, yes you are being targeted due to internet purchases and certain site look ups. Others will explain the technicalities.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:55:47 AM »

This site is supported in part by GoogleAds.  Google has long had a reputation for sticking its nose into people's internet surfing habits in an effort to supply them what Google refers to as a more meaningful internet opportunity.  When you come here, Google has an open pipeline into your web surfing habits--whether you like it or not.

Their methods have been and are always surreptitious--they actually don't want you knowing that they snoop into almost everything you do.  That is one reason that some people don't like their Chrome browser--because although you can turn off their snooping efforts, they have ways and means to turn those snooping programs back on--or override them.  There's no getting away from them either--they're into all too many websites and software.

Software blocking programs are somewhat effective--but they can be gotten around.  Every time someone comes up with new code or a new method to block them, they come back with altered code or new ways to snoop.  It's almost never ending--you've just got to live with it.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »

Why the IGNORE box in reply #2 ?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »

I see it in replies 1 and 3!
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »

Why the IGNORE box in reply #2 ?

The "Ignore" button is on every post - it is there is you would like to hide all messages from that particular poster.

George
K5TR
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »

The "Ignore" button is on every post - it is there is you would like to hide all messages from that particular poster.

Interesting - there is none on your post!
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »

Interesting - there is none on your post!

Yes - you can't "ignore" the admin - well you can't tell the software to hide my posts.

George
K5TR
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 05:21:26 AM »

Duh, just IGNORE me, it just dawned on me why it doesn't show up on my post (guess I can't ignore myself either).To CMA I'll blame it on the current heat wave.  Embarrassed
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

Hey, no problem--you can't ignore yourself...   Cheesy
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

Yes - you can't "ignore" the admin - well you can't tell the software to hide my posts.

And...admins can't ignore anyone at all!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »

I'll bet good money that sometimes they wish they could!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: