Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this possible??  (Read 9408 times)
K9OJT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 04:48:25 AM »

If you really need win7 and don't want anything named Windows 8 on your PC then I suggest you buy a Win7 Pro version CD which should be pretty cheap right now. Then backup anything you need to keep and then reformat the drive and install Win7 Pro on it.

I am not even sure your suggestion will work. I have a 100% legally paid for copy of XP. Back in the stone age, I bought a new desktop with Vista on it but I wanted to put XP on it instead. Of course Microsoft considers this to be a "downgrade" and strictly prohibits users from doing this!

Fine, so I did a full format of the hard drive and tried to load XP again. Same message. Now I could be wrong about this (and I probably am), but I believe there is something in the master boot record where the information about the version of the OS is written. In to "goode olde days", you used to  be able to an FDISK/MBR to wipe out the Master Boot Record, but apparently that is also off limits to mere mortals (even though I am sure it is possible).

The bottom line is that I gave up trying to "downgrade" and learned to live with Vista. And now I deathly afraid of upgrading to Windows7 because everything on my desktop works perfectly (if that isn't asking Murphy to intervene, I don't know what is!).

IIRC...when an MS OS is loaded the program creates a hidden partition on the disk that remains even if the disk is reformatted and the the OS is reloaded.  A second separate ORIGINAL version of the OS is loaded into this hidden partition. This version of the OS is not upgraded with periodic fixes for security and other issues and remains in its original state until the actual OS is upgraded. Thus the reason for the recurring message.

There is a way to access the hidden partition. I can't recall how the access is performed as it has been too long since I needed to do so. Google is your friend.

A low level format of the disk may remove the hidden partition.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool.shtml.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/203931en

Keep in mind it has been a very long time since I have performed any IT work so take this advice with the proverbial grain of salt.

Hope this helps

Mike
K9OJT

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »

I must honestly say that at first I avoided Win 8 but when I dove and used it I found I liked it. I have used Win 8 on tablets and laptops and Win RT tablets too. I far as tablet OS'es go I find Win 8 and Android tied for first and Apple a very distant second in overall usefulness. Granted there a lot o I pads out there but only because they had no real competition for some time.  Android has a lot of apps Win 8 has better GUI and can kill apps with a swipe which neither droid or Apple can do. Also while Driod has been evolving on its GUI and WIN 8 will too, Ipad is basically unchanged. I know this is a bit of track but point is the PC is evolving and a lot are using tablets and Win8 was designed as a tablet software that is also PC friendly and it is evolving. The Start menu is a dying concept and the sooner you let go of it the sooner you will adapt to the path PC/tablets are taking.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

I must honestly say that at first I avoided Win 8 but when I dove and used it I found I liked it. I have used Win 8 on tablets and laptops and Win RT tablets too. I far as tablet OS'es go I find Win 8 and Android tied for first and Apple a very distant second in overall usefulness. Granted there a lot o I pads out there but only because they had no real competition for some time.  Android has a lot of apps Win 8 has better GUI and can kill apps with a swipe which neither droid or Apple can do. Also while Driod has been evolving on its GUI and WIN 8 will too, Ipad is basically unchanged. I know this is a bit of track but point is the PC is evolving and a lot are using tablets and Win8 was designed as a tablet software that is also PC friendly and it is evolving. The Start menu is a dying concept and the sooner you let go of it the sooner you will adapt to the path PC/tablets are taking.

Tablet interfaces still have very little to do with how people use (desktop) PCs for content creation and work. Touch is very good for content consumption, and *imprecise* control of the UI.

If you are working on your computer, you are probably needing to type a lot, and most apps are designed to work well with the precision a mouse pointer gives you on the screen (small buttons, small menus, etc). The mouse is very efficient at what it does, which is why we are still using them all these years later.  You can change desktop apps to be more touch-oriented, but you often give up a lot of features and control and end up "dumbing down" the experience as well as having to make bigger, clumsier controls that can be touched.

I think voice and gesture will be much bigger on the desktop PC than touch screens.

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »

I must honestly say that at first I avoided Win 8 but when I dove and used it I found I liked it. I have used Win 8 on tablets and laptops and Win RT tablets too. I far as tablet OS'es go I find Win 8 and Android tied for first and Apple a very distant second in overall usefulness. Granted there a lot o I pads out there but only because they had no real competition for some time.  Android has a lot of apps Win 8 has better GUI and can kill apps with a swipe which neither droid or Apple can do. Also while Driod has been evolving on its GUI and WIN 8 will too, Ipad is basically unchanged. I know this is a bit of track but point is the PC is evolving and a lot are using tablets and Win8 was designed as a tablet software that is also PC friendly and it is evolving. The Start menu is a dying concept and the sooner you let go of it the sooner you will adapt to the path PC/tablets are taking.

Tablet interfaces still have very little to do with how people use (desktop) PCs for content creation and work. Touch is very good for content consumption, and *imprecise* control of the UI.

If you are working on your computer, you are probably needing to type a lot, and most apps are designed to work well with the precision a mouse pointer gives you on the screen (small buttons, small menus, etc). The mouse is very efficient at what it does, which is why we are still using them all these years later.  You can change desktop apps to be more touch-oriented, but you often give up a lot of features and control and end up "dumbing down" the experience as well as having to make bigger, clumsier controls that can be touched.

I think voice and gesture will be much bigger on the desktop PC than touch screens.

Like it or not the tablet will replace the laptop, it is only a matter of time. Some tablet easily support the addition of keyboard and mouse support if more precision is needed. As technology advances tablets will become very powerful and easily support voice command and control. For some time the desktop was supreme, the laptop took its place and soon tablet will takes its place.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

I still think the fastest, most efficient way to get around in PC software is with keyboard shortcuts.  UI changes (ribbons, whatever) are mostly eye candy, IMO.  The mouse is important, too, but it's annoying when you have to switch from the "File Edit ..." bar to ribbons for no good reason that I can think of, but we adapt.

I think that's the central issue -- people adapt and become fluent with the system they're presented with over time.  Changing that system reduces productivity for some amount of time until the person becomes fluent in the new system.  I wonder if any studies have been done to show that this temporary learning-curve productivity reduction is really worthwhile in the long run.  I don't feel that ribbons have made me a more efficient Excel/Word user, but maybe I have been and I don't realize it.  But I do know that I was significantly less productive for a few weeks while learning the new UI.

I think a lot of these UI changes are money making schemes.  Something flashy and new to sell.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »

I think a lot of these UI changes are money making schemes.  Something flashy and new to sell.

I disagree. With the birth and growth of smart phones and tablets the way we interact with computers has to change too.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:14 AM »

I have only one gesture for Win8 Wink

industry pundits are all but united that Win8 is an anchor on an already sinking PC market.  hope 8.1 "blue" stabilizes what is occurring, but in the end, little bitty machines that are all screen and no I/O have eaten the consumer and B2C space of the market.

so build it now, and stash a couple spare cards when you find them in the $10 range.  or next, we will need wifi access dongles for computer control of the radios.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »

I disagree. With the birth and growth of smart phones and tablets the way we interact with computers has to change too.

I think the way we interact with phones and tablets makes sense with phones and tablets.  And I use my phone for a lot of the tasks I used to use my computer for, so I'm not arguing that phones/tablets won't take over a lot of tasks commonly done by PCs in the past.  But the things I still do on the PC (engineering work, ham logging, programming, writing documents, etc. etc.) are best suited, as I see it, to using a tactile keyboard.  I can type faster and more accurately than I can speak, so voice recognition will only hinder me.  I can maneuver a mouse more accurately than I can position my fat fingers, too.  I don't see these things being replaced by touch screens.  Maybe something else will come along to replace them, but that replacement is not what we have on mobile OSes or Windows 8.
KK6GNP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

I must honestly say that at first I avoided Win 8 but when I dove and used it I found I liked it. I have used Win 8 on tablets and laptops and Win RT tablets too. I far as tablet OS'es go I find Win 8 and Android tied for first and Apple a very distant second in overall usefulness. Granted there a lot o I pads out there but only because they had no real competition for some time.  Android has a lot of apps Win 8 has better GUI and can kill apps with a swipe which neither droid or Apple can do. Also while Driod has been evolving on its GUI and WIN 8 will too, Ipad is basically unchanged. I know this is a bit of track but point is the PC is evolving and a lot are using tablets and Win8 was designed as a tablet software that is also PC friendly and it is evolving. The Start menu is a dying concept and the sooner you let go of it the sooner you will adapt to the path PC/tablets are taking.

If you are working on your computer, you are probably needing to type a lot, and most apps are designed to work well with the precision a mouse pointer gives you on the screen (small buttons, small menus, etc). The mouse is very efficient at what it does, which is why we are still using them all these years later.  You can change desktop apps to be more touch-oriented, but you often give up a lot of features and control and end up "dumbing down" the experience as well as having to make bigger, clumsier controls that can be touched.

Like it or not the tablet will replace the laptop, it is only a matter of time. Some tablet easily support the addition of keyboard and mouse support if more precision is needed. As technology advances tablets will become very powerful and easily support voice command and control. For some time the desktop was supreme, the laptop took its place and soon tablet will takes its place.

Give a kid their first smartphone after they've been using a PC/laptop as their main computer interface to the world.  Their usage of the computer will fall off as the smartphone takes over, though they will return to the computer to get their homework done, same as adults who need to get real work done.

There aren't going to be any monolithic computing devices in the future.  Not even the tablet.  Computing is on the verge of becoming ubiquitous, and you will start seeing a lot more wearable devices such as Google Glass, smart watches, etc increasing in popularity.  They each excel at different tasks, and it's very likely we will all have one or more of each of them at home, with the exception being people who can do their tasks at home without a full size computer.

I do believe on the computing front there will be a convergence of tech.  Our top of the line smartphones are becoming stronger and stronger, and some companies are already looking at designs to make them work as full personal computers that can dock with other form factors, such as a tablet, screen/keyboard the size of a laptop or desktop.  All that power will fit in your pocket, but you will still need various ways to interface it other than a 4-5" screen.  Check out the Ubuntu Edge concept for one example.

Cloud computing has some interesting things coming down the line to, but with all the security questions going on around our government, there is some grassroots public push back starting to occur.

Tablets may seem like a big deal right now, and to some extent they are, but they aren't the whole future of personal computing.  Only a subset of it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:28:17 PM by JEEPESCAPE » Logged

73 ~ Cory (JeepEscape)
KK6GNP
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »

Windows 8 is the future. I know some people dont like it but I have been actually using it on my work laptop for 4 months and love it. I have no need to go back to Win 7 as all the apps I use are compatible with Win 8.

Here are some things I found:

1) No start button . .  Dont need one but there is sort of one. Move the mouse to the lower left corner where the start button used to be and look what pops up? I start button.

2) The Start screen - I removed everything I dont use and populated it with the things I use every week. I removed all the Metro apps as I dont use them. It fits on a single screen and is very useful this way. Customize the start screen for your use.

3) Learn to use the Windows key - This is your real friend with Windows 8. Hit the windows key, type a few characters of the program name and hit a list pops up with the likely candidates. For example Hit Win key, type "wor" and Microsoft Word is the top highlighted program and I can hit enter to launch. I just launched Word without having to touch the mouse. I can start common programs that I use a lot quicker using this method that moving my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and moving the mouse around and clicking. I actually use the mouse less now and keyboard shortcuts more.

4) Learn a few keyboard shortcuts - There are a ton. ctrl-l for example to lock your screen. ctrl-w to get to the dual monitor config screen which I use a lot as I am plugged into and out of a second monitor several times per day.

Wayne

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: