Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote?  (Read 1174 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

I guess I have had my head stuck in the ground..... I had not read this in QST.

remotehamradio.com

These guys sent me an email.  I have not answered it yet. Don't know if I plan to. I need to.....
Well, I am sure everyone that knows me can imagine what I think of this operation. Oh yes, its legal....... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »

I, too, received an email from them & was wondering why I was being contacted.  Seems somewhat like an advertisement to come and operate other ham radio stations, and "super" stations on top of it!!

As I said in another email string about this same subject, I operate using remote,  B U T   I own all the houses, land, and radio equipment in both locations.  Therefore, I feel what I am doing is perfectly fine, it's nothing more then me operating my equipment.

On the other hand, to me, using equipment belonging to someone else is definitely not a good thing.  I think it is nothing more than a way of cheating to obtain some sort of goal; whether it be DXCC or a contest, or something else.

73 de Jim - KE8G
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »

I'd do it on 80 and 160 if I could afford it! I know the limits of my station on this suburban lot and certain parts of the world are just not ever going to be workable with what I've got down there.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »

I am sure some people will sign up but I just can't see this being a money maker.
The whole thing sounds exactly like signing up for cell phone service.
Free minutes with a contract then charges for extra minutes LOL.

I don't think this will fly, the concept runs contrary to what ham radio is all about.

Good luck to the investors, I hope they didn't spend the farm on this.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »

Wow - when you factor in property costs - it will be very interesting to see if they ever turn a profit.

I won't use anything like this - ever. I will always use what I have in my own back yard . . . which is the whole reason I am even back in ham radio after 25 years away from the hobby. But I'm into building antenna farms more than even working DX.

There is a guy in my county who uses a remote contest station to make all of his Q's - and he spots on the cluster incessantly. That wouldn't bother me - except he chastises those of us who sometimes struggle hearing the DX and maybe act a bit "alligatorish".

That really sucks. But sure - its "legal".

If I can't work em from my own back yard - then so be it. If I wanted it easy - I'd use Echolink or Skype  Grin

I made Honor Roll from my little pistol backyard antenna farm - and am proud of that. To each his or her own I guess . . .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:02:49 PM by KY6R » Logged
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »

Crap, if I had that kind of money to blow, I would have my tower already.  Shocked

Eric
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »

From a business standpoint they have yet to address how they plan to implement setting up stations in countries that are outside the US licensing system.
I would imagine the far off remote DX stations would be what most people would want to use but then to use them they will need a license from that country. Will other countries issue licenses to a remote operator let alone the dozens that you would need to make that location profitable?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:14:02 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: