Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any good tips for working from the Philippines?  (Read 1195 times)
W9FIB

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »

I am going to be there next March. This is the first time to work from a DX location. I will be in southern Luzon for the duration of my stay. Plan on using 100 watts into a small dipole in an inverted v that I can fit on the roof of my house. I am hoping (with the help of a bamboo pole) to get the center up about 30 ft. Would like to work 20 - 6M. Maybe 40 if I can squeeze it out of my antenna.

My license is already in the works, so I don't need any info for that. PARA has a great website and helps with dealing with the government. Seems like they are a great bunch to work with.

Mainly just looking for operating tips to avoid any pitfalls of working from that part of the world. Hoping I can work back to WI for at least a contact or 2.

Stan
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »

Stan,

I've operated from the Philippines a couple times.

Biggest difficulty I think you will endure is (1) local noise and (2) solar conditions.  If conditions are good (and they can be in March), 15m will probably be best for stateside in the local mornings. 

JA is easy - all day on most bands.

EU is easier than NA - because of the evil AU oval that is worse over the magnetic north pole that messes up the path stateside but not toward EU as badly.

NA east coast can be worked long path, sometimes easier than short path from DU. 

Local noise can be a real issue and it will be hit-or-miss.  If you've been there before, you know that the infrastructure is shaky at best. 

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:19:14 AM »

Thanks Dave!

I have been there many times and I know what you mean about the infrastructure. The last time I was there, I did some noise spotting with a portable AM radio. The noise was not to bad there. My house is in a newer subdivision out at the edge of the small city, so most of the stuff is not so old. The worst area is a squatter village a couple miles away. There is no electrical code used there! And it seems every light are those very cheap round bulb fluorescent lights. I think they are more efficient RFI radiators the light producers!

Thanks again!

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: