Simple machine shop work

(1/4) > >>

Martin Flynn:
I am making probes for a septum feed.   I need two items machined:

1) 1/4" Brass round stock internally threaded M6 to a depth of 1" (may be drilled through and then tapped)
2) Derlin round stock machined to fit the ID of an existing connector, and drilled and tapped M6

Any hams with a small hobby lathe want to make a dozen of each? 

Martin

Dale R. Parfitt:
If the feed is for 23cM or up, I would NOT recommend delrin.

Dale W4OP

Peter Chadwick:
I don't think I'd even try. The brass will be a tube with wall thickness of 0.0227 inches at the thread crest after the thread is cut, so will likely break at the crest under the stress of tapping. The other approach would be to tap some 3/8 diameter material and turn it down, but the same problem applies.

Martin Flynn:
Quote from: W4OP on July 21, 2013, 06:16:52 PM

If the feed is for 23cM or up, I would NOT recommend delrin.

Dale,
Might you have a suggestion on a machinable plastic that has better electrical performance UHF+ ?

73 Martin

Martin Flynn:
Quote from: G3RZP on July 22, 2013, 01:53:12 AM

I don't think I'd even try. The brass will be a tube with wall thickness of 0.0227 inches at the thread crest after the thread is cut, so will likely break at the crest under the stress of tapping. The other approach would be to tap some 3/8 diameter material and turn it down, but the same problem applies.

Peter,
Other then taking a semester of basic tool and die decades ago, I'm fairly rusty with this sort of work.   If I increase the major diameter of the probe, I can tweak the other dimensions. 

That being said, do you think that this would work with 3/8 brass rod?

73 Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page